How do i make sub-server directories?

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

How do i make sub-server directories?

Post by n0l1m17z on Tue May 18, 2010 5:31 am
([msg=38749]see How do i make sub-server directories?[/msg])

I know this isn't exactly a matter of security, as such, but I'm having trouble finding a useful guide on how to make a sub-server directory (at least that's what I think it's called). I may be using the wrong terminology here, what I wanna do is make something like "http://www.example.domain.com". I would prefer to do it by ftp.
Thanks in advantage!
n0l1m17z
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How do i make sub-server directories?

Post by Goatboy on Tue May 18, 2010 5:35 am
([msg=38750]see Re: How do i make sub-server directories?[/msg])

The correct term is a subdomain. And I think you are confused as to what FTP is used for. With FTP you can upload the files that make up a website, but you can't actually configure with it. Unless you overwrite the config file, which is probably not allowed. Bear in mind that you must own the domain name to make a subdomain on it. In most cases, anyways.

I know in Apache you can use Virtual Hosts to accomplish this. Read this link for more info.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by n0l1m17z on Tue May 18, 2010 5:50 am
([msg=38752]see Re: How do i make sub-server directories?[/msg])

Wicked response-time. :D

Alrite, I thought there might be a way to place/name a directory on the server to accomplish it. I do own the domain, the setup in question is running with cPanel. I'll check out your link right away!

-- Tue May 18, 2010 11:58 am --

Oh, I figured how to eaaaasily do it through Cpanel, however I'm desperate to figure out how it works, so thanks for the link, I'll study it till I understand it :)
n0l1m17z
New User
New User

Post by tremor77 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm
([msg=38797]see Re: How do i make sub-server directories?[/msg])

Subdomains are ultimately a configuration of DNS.

If you own www.example.com - you can set the A record and host for that to 123.123.123.101 for example, on which a web server resides. NOW TECHNICALLY in this example "www" IS the subdomain.

Now lets say you have a second actually webserver, you could create a DNS entry for www2.example.com pointing to 123.123.123.102.

That's the basics.. you can move forward from there within your web server software by using the hosts configuration.. www & www2 could both point to the same IP address, however the server will interpret them to different locations.. perhaps

home/user1/html_root/ & home/user1/html_root/www2/

OR you could setup individual user or web accounts under the same domain.. here is an example of a configuration that I actually use

home/bob/html_root/ = bob.example.com
home/joe/html_root/ = joe.example.com

this is all however, if you run your own webserver, most hosting companies simplify all this within their admin cp's.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Web