Web Hosting

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Web Hosting

Post by Solovus on Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:01 am
([msg=35608]see Web Hosting[/msg])

Right... First off, hi. This is my first post and may not really be the best, etc. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good web hosting services short of running a box from my house. I'm talking something like 1and1, Go Daddy, or Bluehost. However, I need access to stuff like SSH and being able to install packages onto the server. If anyone know of any good hosting services that are at a good price vs. services offered, than please tell me. Thanks!
Solovus
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Web Hosting

Post by Rex60076 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:19 am
([msg=35667]see Re: Web Hosting[/msg])

I use hosting24 however I don't know if its really what you are looking for. :roll:
All I know is its cheap ;D
Rex60076
New User
New User

Post by computerbp13 on Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:49 am
([msg=41131]see Re: Web Hosting[/msg])

Just so you know, IMO GoDaddy is crap. They spend more money on boob jobs for Dannica Patrick then it does on maintaining servers (not that that's a bad thing, just it's not great when you have a website you need hosted).
I use HostMonster. They allow SSH, but I don't think they let you install your own packages and extensions to apache, php, etc (though they do take requests and have excellent support). For the kind of control you want, mediatemple is very expensive, but pretty much allows you to do whatever you like. FUN FACT: MediaTemple facilities are on the emergency fuel list for their backup generators so you can still access your website during a natural disaster. Seems kinda ridiculous to me, but it gives them a good reason to charge what they do.
computerbp13
New User
New User

Post by msbachman on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:55 pm
([msg=41137]see Re: Web Hosting[/msg])

I took someone's suggestion to give 000webhost.com a try and about had a coronary when I discovered they won't allow .txt files on free accounts for "security reasons."

Excepting that, they let you run mysql and php, so overall I'm probably going to stick with them. Barely.

-- Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:56 pm --

Fuck I need to read posts more carefully. idk if 000webhost allows ssh or not; I don't think they do. Ditto for installing additional packages. I'll leave the rest of my post up in case it's of some use to you at all.
"I'm going to get into your sister. I'm going to get my hands on your daughter."
~Gatito
msbachman
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Web