A Strange Problem with Tor

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

A Strange Problem with Tor

Post by Spectre557 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:15 pm
([msg=26889]see A Strange Problem with Tor[/msg])

Hey guys,

HTS is my best port of call for technical guidance, so here's my latest newbish question.

I've just installed Tor and Privoxy on my laptop (Xubuntu Jaunty, Firefox 3) with Torbutton, but I'm encountering some difficulties. Everything seems to be working fine, but I don't want to have it active all the time; it really slows down page loading; however, when I turn it off using the Torbutton, I'm completely unable to connect to any website at all. I've tried refreshing, restarting Firefox, rebooting, reloading the Tor service, but to no avail.

This wouldn't actually be a problem if I knew how to add exceptions to Privoxy, i.e. connect to certain websites without any extra security, but unfortunately, until someone educates me, I have no idea how to do this, or even if it's possible (google wasn't able to help me on that one). But I'd still rather fix the problem than ignore it.

Cheers!
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A Strange Problem with Tor

Post by mischief on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:26 am
([msg=26896]see Re: A Strange Problem with Tor[/msg])

try foxyproxy o:
The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.
--Buddha
mischief
Poster
Poster

Re: A Strange Problem with Tor

Post by Spectre557 on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:44 am
([msg=26912]see Re: A Strange Problem with Tor[/msg])

mischief wrote:try foxyproxy o:

Well as I said, I'd rather fix the problem than ignore it and do something different. I'm difficult like that sometimes. :)

I'll look into it though.
Current obsession: Minecraft
Spectre557
Poster
Poster

Return to Web