Need help with pen test

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Re: Need help with pen test

Post by Pheo14 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:46 pm
([msg=77835]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:No.

Any suggestion?

And thanks for the direction :D

Found one useful tool, the OWASP HTTP Slow Post, took down the site in a matter of second :o.
Pheo14
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Goatboy on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:22 pm
([msg=77874]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

I stick to my original statement. And talking about being from a communist state just makes me think you're stalin for time.

My advice? Defer to someone who knows what they are doing. All you will do at this point is accidentally do something and not know how to explain it or fix the problem. You'll likely end up wasting time and resources with a DoS and have nothing to show for it. Read some books, get mod_security installed (90% of your problems go away right there), practice basic security measures and you'll be fine.

Knowledge comes first, skill follows.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:16 am
([msg=77876]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:And talking about being from a communist state just makes me think you're stalin for time.

Try not to force it so much.

As for the OP, what operating system (such as windows, linux, etc.) are you using on your penetrating computer? What browser are you using? (Internet explorer, firefox, etc.) Are you doing it from inside of the building, company, etc. or from home/external office?
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:08 pm
([msg=77884]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

hellow533 wrote:
Goatboy wrote:And talking about being from a communist state just makes me think you're stalin for time.

I'll let you figure it out on your own time. You'll get it eventually.

I repeat, learn what you're doing before you try and improve security. A lot of mistakes are made by bright people who *almost* know what they are doing, but second place doesn't count in the security world. Go read OWASP, watch youtube videos, do whatever works for you.
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:35 pm
([msg=77889]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:
hellow533 wrote:

I'll let you figure it out on your own time. You'll get it eventually.

I repeat, learn what you're doing before you try and improve security. A lot of mistakes are made by bright people who *almost* know what they are doing, but second place doesn't count in the security world. Go read OWASP, watch youtube videos, do whatever works for you.

I was just trying to see what sort of methods he was trying. Unless it has been said earlier, I didn't see him say so.

I do agree with goatboy however, and even if you were a master, you would still need to constantly study newly released technology and software to keep up with the "hackers" world. It's an endless game of trying to improve security and improve ways of breaking it.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Goatboy on Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:37 pm
([msg=77890]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

You didn't get the joke? Communist? STALIN for time? I am disappoint...
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by hellow533 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:22 pm
([msg=77892]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:You didn't get the joke? Communist? STALIN for time? I am disappoint...

I already said the joke was too forced, sorry for Putin you on the spot like that.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pheo14 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:05 pm
([msg=77899]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:I stick to my original statement. And talking about being from a communist state just makes me think you're stalin for time.<br><br>My advice? Defer to someone who knows what they are doing. All you will do at this point is accidentally do something and not know how to explain it or fix the problem. You'll likely end up wasting time and resources with a DoS and have nothing to show for it. Read some books, get mod_security installed (90% of your problems go away right there), practice basic security measures and you'll be fine.<br><br>Knowledge comes first, skill follows.

First thing first, it's Ho, not stalin... He's like Stalin's bitch. Anyway, we are working on that, one day, we'll be free :).

And yes, I do know how to explain it. It just how good is the explaination.

1. Intelligent is everything, so I started with intelligent. Google hack, metasploit (pro), spent some good time scanning the system, no errors were found, can you believe it? @_@

2. Since there's no vulnerabilities found, I guess I will have to make it myself. This time, started with SQL injection, failed, the server was invulnerable to SQP injection. However, found one using URL misinterpretation, the hole allowed me to get information on the URL's process:
"SQL=SELECT l.ten_lop, l.id,m.title, m.id as Itemid, m.link, m.params as menu_params FROM dev_k12school_lop as l LEFT JOIN dev_menu as m on m.link like CONCAT('%', l.id ,'%') WHERE (l.ma_cap = *) AND m.parent_id = 151 AND m.published = 1 ORDER BY m.rgt ASC"

3. Time's to have some fun, started with layers 4 DOS attack, could only managed to slow the system a little bit, decided to looked for better things, came up with layers 7 DOS attack, torshammer and HTTP slow post. Took down the system, sent the report.

Now, the problem is, the web developer has upgraded the resolution for the system, any attack would resulted in IP-ban (temporarily), so I kinda guess that I'll have to look for some other way to conduct the attack, it must be slower and hard to detect

hellow533 wrote:Try not to force it so much.<br><br>As for the OP, what operating system (such as windows, linux, etc.) are you using on your penetrating computer? What browser are you using? (Internet explorer, firefox, etc.) Are you doing it from inside of the building, company, etc. or from home/external office?

I'm working inside the building, sitting next to a window using window. Don't worry, bro, there's no law in my society, hahaha
Pheo14
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 am
([msg=77900]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Pheo14 wrote:
Goatboy wrote:I stick to my original statement. And talking about being from a communist state just makes me think you're stalin for time.<br><br>My advice? Defer to someone who knows what they are doing. All you will do at this point is accidentally do something and not know how to explain it or fix the problem. You'll likely end up wasting time and resources with a DoS and have nothing to show for it. Read some books, get mod_security installed (90% of your problems go away right there), practice basic security measures and you'll be fine.<br><br>Knowledge comes first, skill follows.

First thing first, it's Ho, not stalin... He's like Stalin's bitch. Anyway, we are working on that, one day, we'll be free :).

And yes, I do know how to explain it. It just how good is the explaination.

1. Intelligent is everything, so I started with intelligent. Google hack, metasploit (pro), spent some good time scanning the system, no errors were found, can you believe it? @_@

2. Since there's no vulnerabilities found, I guess I will have to make it myself. This time, started with SQL injection, failed, the server was invulnerable to SQP injection. However, found one using URL misinterpretation, the hole allowed me to get information on the URL's process:
"SQL=SELECT l.ten_lop, l.id,m.title, m.id as Itemid, m.link, m.params as menu_params FROM dev_k12school_lop as l LEFT JOIN dev_menu as m on m.link like CONCAT('%', l.id ,'%') WHERE (l.ma_cap = *) AND m.parent_id = 151 AND m.published = 1 ORDER BY m.rgt ASC"

3. Time's to have some fun, started with layers 4 DOS attack, could only managed to slow the system a little bit, decided to looked for better things, came up with layers 7 DOS attack, torshammer and HTTP slow post. Took down the system, sent the report.

Now, the problem is, the web developer has upgraded the resolution for the system, any attack would resulted in IP-ban (temporarily), so I kinda guess that I'll have to look for some other way to conduct the attack, it must be slower and hard to detect

I'll let someone else touch this.

Something fishy about that URL. Try not to copy/paste them in to your browser while on a website and maybe someday they will work.

So you did a successful denial of service? I suppose it's useful if you're afraid of somebody taking down your website.

It's too early for this shit.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pheo14 on Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm
([msg=77903]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Hmm, yeah, I should be more careful, luckily, that is not exactly the URL.

About the DOS attack, yes, last week I used torshammer, now, I'm trying to go further, with apachekill2 (did a reconnaissance, the site is highly vulnerable to it)

I know your point, bro, like the other guy, goatboy, said, I should've looked into other things first, for Dos attack alone can't get any information from the site. For me, I'm not good enough to read the source to find the vulnerability, therefore I went for tools that could help me find them, and when they can't find anything, I looked them up myself.

SQL injection: No, the server is not vulnarable to it
XSS: The server has no forum, no chat database, no human interaction, XSS is not possible
URL misinterpretation: There was some problem, but none could be exploited, at least by me
So tell me, what can I do? I'm learning the language, but it's a step by step process, so what can I really do apart from DOS attack?
Pheo14
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Web