Need help with pen test

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Need help with pen test

Post by Pheo14 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:01 am
([msg=77786]see Need help with pen test[/msg])

Hey guys, I'm working as a tester for a company. We are new in the business, and so does the website.
So, the boss told me, that I'm going to have to do anything, use any method, to break their security.

But the problem is, as far as I know, the easiest way to abuse a website, is Ddos attack....Couldn't ping em
That left me with SQL injection, damn these people, their website's URL was created in some alienate way, it seem like it's unbreachable.

I'm just asking for some enlightment, I'm actually new to this field, but thankfully, I know how to read on my own...It just...These guys are too tough, and I don't know how to fight them @_@
Pheo14
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Need help with pen test

Post by Goatboy on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:17 am
([msg=77795]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

You make a living as a pentester and you think a DDoS is the first line of attack?
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Post by Pheo14 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:14 am
([msg=77798]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

I make a living with everything I have. I was a translator, a lecturer's assistant. In fact, my country's economic is so terrible now that having a job is already a miracle.

And, I said that according to my knowledge, DDos is the easiest way of attack.
Pheo14
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 am
([msg=77803]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Goatboy wrote:You make a living as a pentester and you think a DDoS is the first line of attack?

Take it easy on him, after all, is wasn't able to ping them....

.......................................................................................................

-- Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:20 am --

Pheo14 wrote:Hey guys, I'm working as a tester for a company. We are new in the business, and so does the website.
So, the boss told me, that I'm going to have to do anything, use any method, to break their security.

But the problem is, as far as I know, the easiest way to abuse a website, is Ddos attack....Couldn't ping em
That left me with SQL injection, damn these people, their website's URL was created in some alienate way, it seem like it's unbreachable.

I'm just asking for some enlightment, I'm actually new to this field, but thankfully, I know how to read on my own...It just...These guys are too tough, and I don't know how to fight them @_@

Nobody would ever tell you to use any method, if you had any formidable training you would know certain things can cause damage to a website, leaving it less secure, inoperable, etc. One of the main rules is not to damage the things you are testing. Use any method probably meant use any method that doesn't get us fired or sued. Or worse.

A denial of service won't break security. You know that. Tell me you know that. Tell me you were joking when you said you couldn't ping them. Is the website offline?

SQL injection, alright, so give me an idea where this business used SQL (probably a database of some sort if that helps).

I understand being new to the field, but it seems you don't know what you're talking about. I would suggest going in to a reputable, credited school and getting certified before you try any penetration testing.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pheo14 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 pm
([msg=77817]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

At first, I tried to at least learn how the code work, as people always said, don't be a script kid. Then I realized that no, that option is not available for me. I don't have time and resources, I came from a communist state, there's nothing as welfare here for me.

So I decided that I should be a script kiddie, did feel a little bad about it. Tried to ping the website yesterday, using cmd, and magically, it worked! Perhaps I made some mistakes, dummy me. Together with LOIC, I DDos the website for 3 hours, in the end, the server ran at 87%. The boss told me that I should try harder to bring it down :P (the website is still on development stage, so no matter what I do, no problem).

As far as I know, SQL can be defined as a way to communicate with the server, it could be the login page and the URL, right? The website's URL is kinda strange, it's like this:
index.php?option=com_users&view=login
index.php?option=com_content&view=lookandfeel&layout=blog&id=365&Itemid=101

About the login, I tried to login with username admin and the ' or '1'='1 and all of it's variation, but none work. The guy don't even bother to run some script that required people to enter some number after a fixed amount of login attempts, so I guess I will try to find some bruteforce tools.

And the last thing, saw your quotation, it's true, I...shouldn't asked people to do things for me, sorry bro, and thanks for replying to me, you already helped me a lot, appreciated it :)
Pheo14
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:29 am
([msg=77819]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

One, don't use Low Orbit Ion Cannon, it's the biggest load of horse shit I have ever seen in my life. You should know that it takes multiple users to use LOIC, and can't be used through a proxy (such as proxychains) because of the fact it ties up traffic everywhere. Is it an apache server? Probably not but I could help with an easier route if doing a denial of service is that important. Big thing is, the server should be fine, you shouldn't be able to overload it on your own with a standard computer using standard methods.

I think you should read more in to SQL, and while your at it tell me what the website is programmed in. It looks like PHP could be a primary source, in which case I would read in to PHP as well, along with everything related to PHP.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Pheo14 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:05 am
([msg=77821]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Web Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu)
Powered-by: PHP/5.4.9-4ubuntu2.1

The coder created a 2 layers protection system. He closed all the ports, most of the time, and they are only opened when necessary, for the other opened port, they are carefully guarded. I tried to run some SQL tools, mostly scout, and it return with negative result. Some said that the server is not opened, some suggested that the server doesn't use MySQL....Anyway, I talked directly to the coder, and he told me he used some strange language, and that SQL is not gonna work, but then, he added, you may try, we never know.

All I got is cmd-ping, Goodbye, LOIC, Anonymous External Attack. The problem is the server denied program with high output. I mean, an attack on port 80, with 10 threads at average speed is acceptable, but when I increased it to 100 threads, the server stopped responding after 70 requests. By that, we guess the server could stand for at least 7000 users at a time, but we don't know for sure.

After a week of searching and looking for one-hit-killed miracle, I came to a conclusion that, damn, I need a strategy first. I'm going to look for other alternatives, there must a weak point in his code :|. And hey, thanks again, man :D
Pheo14
New User
New User

Post by DrRoach on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:38 am
([msg=77822]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

I think instead of looking for tools you should learn a language, such as php, these tools aren't going to hack a website for you, some of them are good but they're not that good. In short you can't become a doctor without learning and it's the same concept with hacking.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by Pheo14 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:52 am
([msg=77823]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Agree, I'm learning, but...it takes time, for now, I'm trying to be a nurse :|
Pheo14
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:43 pm
([msg=77833]see Re: Need help with pen test[/msg])

Pheo14 wrote:Goodbye, LOIC, Anonymous External Attack.

No.

Also, Apache servers have a list of vulnerabilities on their own, look in to those and PHP.
“Teach me how to hack!”
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Web