Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif

Discuss the many weaknesses of browser security and ways to mitigate the threat

Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif

Post by ernglg on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:39 pm
([msg=77228]see Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif[/msg])

I need to download movie trailers for my research but there is no legible place to get some so I decide to download from the site itself. Is there any programmatic way to do that preferably in Python. I know some of unofficial APIs but they also give only meta data about the movies. If someone know how to do that, help that naive researcher.
Last edited by ernglg on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ernglg
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif

Post by sabin007 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm
([msg=77229]see Re: Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif[/msg])

Internet Download Manager(IDM) can help you. It can download any flash videos from almost any websites.

Sorry, I don't know about programmatic way :(
sabin007
New User
New User

Post by Tentra on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:06 pm
([msg=77236]see Re: Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif[/msg])

It's quite possible, just view the source of the webpage with the trailer, find the URL of the flv file and download it in whatever way you prefer. The challenge arises in the fact that most web pages use some form of skeleton web player that reads either POST data or some other type of identifying information specific to the video you are trying to view, the player then executes code to download and play the video you are trying to view. Should this be the case, you would have to decompile the FLV and determine where it pulls its media assets from, which could also be in some proprietary format.

Downloading FLV videos can potentially require a fair bit of work.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by tgoe on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:33 pm
([msg=77240]see Re: Is there any way to download FLV video from a website specif[/msg])

You might also get lucky by loading the page in your browser's debugger and looking through the network/resources data.
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Web