Where do I go?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Where do I go?

Post by SirKamyk on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:43 am
([msg=74005]see Where do I go?[/msg])

Okay, so for the past two years basically I've involved myself with learning to program using different programming languages, I took Computer Science in school which is teaching me Java, and I learnt Python as well as the basics of C and JavaScript and HTML. I wouldn't say I'm pro in any of these by any stretch, I understand rather the principles of programming and can make programs which do arithmetic, have menus and such, but even to that extent nothing incorporating proper user interfaces or graphics.

Now with this experience, I find myself no closer to actually hacking anything. I know programming, so what? I have no clue how computer security works, never mind trying to exploit it! I have completed most of the Basic tasks, that's true, but I don't see how opening the source code of a page up and looking up the password has anything to do with real website hacking. This has really been irritating me, so I apologise if I come over as wanting to criticise the challenges - that's not my aim.

I guess my request to you guys would be to point me in the right direction, what to learn, how to learn it. Any links to useful documents would be massively appreciated. :)
SirKamyk
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where do I go?

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am
([msg=74006]see Re: Where do I go?[/msg])

SirKamyk wrote: I have completed most of the Basic tasks, that's true, but I don't see how opening the source code of a page up and looking up the password has anything to do with real website hacking.

Eh, I believe that is what the "Realistic" missions are designed for.

Try moving onto the harder missions if you find it to not be a challenge...
The forums have topics that can be very helpful in solving the missions, if you become stuck.

Best of luck,
- -Ninjex-
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Where do I go?

Post by mShred on Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:28 pm
([msg=74049]see Re: Where do I go?[/msg])

Those basic missions aren't designed to teach you hacking. They're designed to make you think. Knowing what the source code is good for someone who doesn't know anything about HTML at all. Like Ninjex said, the realistic missions will bring more real, accurate (yet outdated) hacking.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Return to General