A case for Ruby and Unix

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:40 pm
([msg=73455]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Theres not more you can do in Unix.
It's just that its simpler to do things closer to the hardware in Unix systems
you could just as easily use scripting languages to do the same things on a Windows machine.

If you want tohighlight some advantages ill be happy to hear them, but I dont know of any.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by mShred on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:52 pm
([msg=73463]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:If you want tohighlight some advantages ill be happy to hear them, but I dont know of any.

I hate to sound like a dick at this point, but the reason you don't know of any is because you don't know shit about what you're trying to talk about. When you have every experienced member on a forum arguing just about everything you say, you can start assume that maybe you don't know what you're talking about.
The point in *nix systems to offer us an easier way to do the things we need/want to be done. It's not the fact that windows can 'use scripting languages', it's how everything was built to go together.
Look at the repository list for any linux distro. Can you honestly tell me that with a repo source that large, Ubuntu is underdeveloped?

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:15 pm
([msg=73467]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Windows has automation at every level of the operating system.
in order to get things done efficiently, its sometimes better to use scripting languages not built into windows (i.e. cmd prompt sucks).

but with VBA,VB.NET and VBscript, you can literally do anything in Windows, I'm just not seeing the argument for *Nix systems.
Not to mention, windows 8 happens to run everything in a sandbox as well as having built-in antivir (windows defender only prevented malware).

what exactly makes a *nix system better than windows? other than a simpler and more complete CLI (which was phased out from windows more than 10 years ago and essentially replaced by VB)

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/13 ... -mobile-os

and now with the Windows Runtime, developers have easy access to the Windows API.
Other OSs need to catch up, even if they retain their unique uses.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:44 pm
([msg=73477]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:what exactly makes a *nix system better than windows? other than a simpler and more complete CLI (which was phased out from windows more than 10 years ago and essentially replaced by VB)

Really? I figured it was replaced by powershell. Which by the way is better them cmd but still no *nix terminal even though it can use some *nix commands. It can also be used as a scripting language which is better than batch and VBscript but not better than bash scripting imo. You can do more things from the command line than the user interface and I feel *nix systems have a better CLI overall.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:53 pm
([msg=73482]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Anyone can post links to other sites that defend their operating system.. http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/
The argument could go on and on. Windows this, Linux that. The fact of the matter is that Linux was built by us, for us. Windows is a commercial business that took over the world fifteen years ago. Windows is made to look fancy and be used by everyone. Linux was made for people who want to be able to completely customize their own workspace exactly the way you want it. It was built for us to build into it and on top of it. You can say Windows has all of these things that Linux doesn't have. But Joey Bobby could say Linux has all of those things that Windows doesn't. We're not saying one is better or one isn't. You were the one who stated, without proper education on the matter, that Linux is underdeveloped. At the same time that you said you don't know anything about Linux.. (perhaps I could point you here viewtopic.php?f=155&t=9815) Your argument is flawed, my friend.
Just to put the cherry on top, I'd like to see you make a Backtrack equivalent in any form of Windows..
Boom, argument won. 8-) Case closed ladies and gentleman.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 pm
([msg=73484]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Damn 'shred you just dropped the BackTrack bomb huh? lol . But yeah, open source software is always a good thing. Plus it can be viewed by anyone so bugs/security issues tend to get fixed faster and more often. Although that can probably be argued.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:00 pm
([msg=73485]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

you posted a clearly biased link.
Mine is not biased.
nice try.

actually theres plenty of proof that open source software gets patched faster.
theres plenty of open source software for windows, and plenty of open source languages for windows, including some under the .net framework.

your argument is won by stating that I, one human being, cannot create another backtrack? really...

OK. with the .net framework you have access to windows system.drawing namespace, so you can create any graphic with any properties having any methods.

i.e., the only limitation to what you can make is your skill in .net programming and your specs.
that goes for any OS bar the .net part.

also, something like this may exist but Windows would have to release it officially, you cant just make your own offshoot of windows for whatever purposes you want.

all you've proven is that Ubuntu is opensource...not really something that needs to be argued.

theres also no reason to make an entirely new OS for something that could just as easily be software on my Windows PC

there are plenty of *nix terminal emulators for windows.

I wonder if theres a cmd prompt or MS-DOS emulator for *nix?
I doubt it.
Last edited by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by limdis on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm
([msg=73487]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

mShred wrote:I'd like to see you make a Backtrack equivalent in any form of Windows..

"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:18 pm
([msg=73491]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:I wonder if theres a cmd prompt or MS-DOS emulator for *nix?
I doubt it.

Yeah, that is true. But why would anyone want that? It would be counter productive and a step backwards limitation wise.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:19 pm
([msg=73492]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Windows is bloated.
Its terrible how fat and ugly it is.
but its heading in the right direction with windows 8, and as far as the command line goes, it does need a better interface, and maybe even a totally different language for its CLI (as in, stop trying to make it look like MS-DOS, cause MS-DOS was terrible). any of its .net languages are a good candidate for that.

Unix is streamlined.
it runs faster (usually, but Ubuntu is almost as fat as windows)
and yes, customization is easier
not to mention there are so many open source projects for it
Unix is probably what ill raise my kids on (when I actually have some lol)
not because its better, but because I want them to learn to think and windows could be used by a baby monkey.

But I really think both of these OSs are equal, and both have areas where they could improve (but probably never will)
Havent seen a lot of macs lately though...lol
Last edited by KthProg on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General