A case for Ruby and Unix

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: A case for Ruby and Unix

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:33 pm
([msg=73364]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:especially not the underdeveloped OS's that are collectively called *nix

Yeah, I guess I skimmed over this part. I totally disagree with you here.

Have you tried a *nix system before?
Why do you consider them to be underdeveloped?
You sparked curiosity in me.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:34 pm
([msg=73365]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

I doubt that VB.DotNet is an extremely high-level event driven language
does python have the ability to
import dlls
use windows dlls without import (i.e anything windows can do VBDotNet can do including low-level operations)
create tcp/ip connections with ssl
communicate with any protocol over a tcp/ip connection
utilize multiple processors/processes simultaneously
run background processes
easily create activex controls
add multiple handlers to a single event
create database connections
store user settings (without sessions)
edit and sort XML
split strings
initialize variable at compile time or runtime
office interop
etc.

I don't think so
theres a reason python is called a scripting language and not just a programming language.

its underdeveloped relative to windows.

also I didn't realize this before but apparently VB net is possibly the only language that has "with" statements
these really help keep code clean.

for example
Code: Select all
combobox1.add("A")
combobox1.add("b")
combobox1.add("c")
combobox1.add("d")

becomes
Code: Select all
with combobox1
.add("a")
.add("b")
.add("c")
.add("d")
end with
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:45 pm
([msg=73366]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:its underdeveloped relative to windows.

Can you give some direct explanations, so that I may try and dismantle that thought from you piece by piece? :D
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:49 pm
([msg=73367]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

lol sure I've only used Linux so far and only for a short time, also an older version so maybe im just a little undereducated in that area lol.

there are less applications for unix systems
the GUI is less structured
and ive heard the kernel is not as stable

These are my main points
*nix do seem to have a better command line interface though.
of course this isn't saying much since theres no longer support for native MSDOS (cmd is a DOS emulator) and DOS was terrible in the first place.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:55 pm
([msg=73368]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:lol sure I've only used Linux so far and only for a short time, also an older version so maybe im just a little undereducated in that area lol.

there are less applications for unix systems
the GUI is less structured
and ive heard the kernel is not as stable

These are my main points
*nix do seem to have a better command line interface though.
of course this isn't saying much since theres no longer support for native MSDOS (cmd is a DOS emulator) and DOS was terrible in the first place.

True that there are less applications, but the reason is usually because those applications are pointless and can be done by multiple other programs. Such as Cain and Abel can not be used in Linux, but you can use things such as nmap, wireshark, JTR, etc to make up for it. Also, everyday more and more programs do become available in wine as projects go underway, and compatibility with wine grows.
The GUI I wouldn't say is less structured, I would say that it is not as common. The reason for that is that once you become familiar with the system you will find that it is much easier to access and use everything from a CLI opposed to a GUI. On the other hand, it also supports both CLI and GUI which Windows does not. Windows can not operate without a GUI.
The kernel's have never seemed unstable to me in my experience.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:07 pm
([msg=73369]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

I don't know I really cant argue against unix systems because I do think they're more appropriate for advanced users, but they usually make simple things difficult.

I do think windows XP and past can be run from CLI im not sure.
I think its just when they phased out MS-DOS that you could no longer run from CLI

I would like to see more applications developed but this wont ever happen they way it does with windows.

unix systems are not cash cows like windows and there are simply way more unix OSs to choose from when you develop an application.

if *nix systems could get together and make an official *nix system I would put it above windows.

For now I think they both just have very different uses im really curious about unix systems but it's not like I can replace my windows 8 OS for a nix system.

although now that I think about it, you could run a nix OS from a disk or USB drive couldn't you?
if so what do you think would be best, running from a SD/SM/XD etc card, USB, or CD? technically could prolly use firewire port too idk whats fastest for running an OS from media?
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:16 pm
([msg=73370]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:I don't know I really cant argue against unix systems because I do think they're more appropriate for advanced users, but they usually make simple things difficult.

I do think windows XP and past can be run from CLI im not sure.
I think its just when they phased out MS-DOS that you could no longer run from CLI

I would like to see more applications developed but this wont ever happen they way it does with windows.

unix systems are not cash cows like windows and there are simply way more unix OSs to choose from when you develop an application.

if *nix systems could get together and make an official *nix system I would put it above windows.

For now I think they both just have very different uses im really curious about unix systems but it's not like I can replace my windows 8 OS for a nix system.

although now that I think about it, you could run a nix OS from a disk or USB drive couldn't you?
if so what do you think would be best, running from a SD/SM/XD etc card, USB, or CD? technically could prolly use firewire port too idk whats fastest for running an OS from media?

Backtrack5 is official
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is official
Crunchbang is official
The list goes on...
Yes you can run any os from USB/CD or you could even partition your HDD and dual boot so that you have two os's on the same computer. Look at getting unetbootin, as this will allow you to put Linux systems onto a USB where you could boot from for either a test or to install it. Ubuntu has the ability to install side by side to windows, and BT5 is based on Ubuntu.
If you wish you can get virtualbox and test the systems out as well, or install them to CD.

Backtrack5 is a official penetration testing os, and still leads me to wonder how you thought *nix is underdeveloped :geek:
Maybe you are right, it could have changed since you used it. Since I am only 19, and just started using Linux about 9 months ago, I can't tell you much history on Linux except that it looks good now.

Note. If you plan messing with partitions, make backups of everything first, as being as safe as possible doesn't even guarantee that things can get erased or corrupted.
Last edited by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:18 pm
([msg=73371]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

Official means one.
You cant have three "official" systems.
if Unix would get together as a coroporation like Microsoft and create A system and market it as their main OS I think Unix systems could potentially benefit.

Im definitely going to go unix at least for awhile.
I just feel that I should lose my attachment to a GUI

as weird as this is, I really hope Unix becomes the future of OSs, its not there yet but I really want it to be.

is Ubuntu one of those wonderful free OSs? lol
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:28 pm
([msg=73372]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

KthProg wrote:

is Ubuntu one of those wonderful free OSs? lol

Yes, all of those are free. Linux is based on everything being free.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:32 pm
([msg=73373]see Re: A case for Ruby and Unix[/msg])

lol awesome ill have Ubuntu in,...7 hours lol.
they have a windows installer.
so nice of them to make shit simple for me lol.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

PreviousNext

Return to General