Top Ten Programs

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Top Ten Programs

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 pm
([msg=74753]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:I've installed a virtual machine and am running backtrack of that but it's really laggy and installation keeps crashing do you think I should just install it by by side with my windows OS like the installation offers and forget about the virtual machine? Thanks in advance.

Personally, from me to you, that is the best way to do it...
I recommend that you back up your files, please do not skip this... BACK THEM UP.
Look into partitioning if you must, and then dual boot. You shouldn't be dissatisfied with the results.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by DrRoach on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:48 pm
([msg=74755]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Thanks for the quick reply guys I'm backing up my files now then I'm going to go for the side by side installation of the two OS. Brushing up on linux commands as it backs up. Are all of the linux commands the same as usual such as or do backtrack programmes bring in any new commands? Let me know if that's a stupid question.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:58 pm
([msg=74756]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:Thanks for the quick reply guys I'm backing up my files now then I'm going to go for the side by side installation of the two OS. Brushing up on linux commands as it backs up. Are all of the linux commands the same as usual such as or do backtrack programmes bring in any new commands? Let me know if that's a stupid question.

If you are brushing up with Linux, I really wouldn't recommend using Backtrack. Although if you do plan to use it, create a non-root account until you know what you are doing. If not you could really mess stuff up. Not all Linux commands are the same. Different distributions use different commands and will be somewhat different. Backtrack runs with the same commands as any other Debian based distribution such as Ubuntu. Here is a nice reference for Debian based terminals, what you can do, and some commands using the CLI.
LINK!
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by DrRoach on Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:21 pm
([msg=74801]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Sorry about taking so long to reply, I've been super busy at work, but thanks for the link and the help guys I decided to install it onto a usb I have just so I can transfer it around all of my computers. The only problem is that my wireless adapter won't work at all when I boot up backtrack. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 am
([msg=74816]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

DrRoach wrote:Sorry about taking so long to reply, I've been super busy at work, but thanks for the link and the help guys I decided to install it onto a usb I have just so I can transfer it around all of my computers. The only problem is that my wireless adapter won't work at all when I boot up backtrack. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

In backtrack, you have to manually start the networking service try this from the terminal:

Code: Select all
/etc/init.d/networking start

If this doesn't work, let me know.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by DrRoach on Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:11 pm
([msg=74852]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Thanks for the reply I've just got back from holiday so I'll try it in the morning and let you know if it doesn't work.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by QuomQuit on Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:21 am
([msg=74873]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Total Commander is a good tool to have on your computer; you can browse easily, change extensions, etc. without much of a problem. I am enjoying the Ultima Prime version of the program and it is great. Google for some images to see what it's like.

I am not sure of my own top ten list, but I am sure that a firewall and an antivirus program (Avast!) would be in.
Nascentes morimur.
QuomQuit
New User
New User

Post by DrRoach on Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:14 am
([msg=74903]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Thanks for the help Ninjex and everyone else who helped but I still cant get it working so I've decided to listen to advice given before and use Ubuntu for now until I get used to Linux.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Previous

Return to General