Top Ten Programs

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Top Ten Programs

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:55 pm
([msg=73215]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:I am biased over an operating system and everyone here probably is. Each person has differences in what they do and do not like, which leads them to a choice of what they like as their primary os.
I don't care what your favorite is. That wasn't my point. I'm saying you should judge people and label them based on assumptions made from absolutely no evidence.
I would have replied to his post, if he didn't use the phrase "real short sweet simple run down"; sounds just like a Windows user. I would be wasting my time.
I guess I should just find somewhere else to spend my time, since I don't spoon feed info.
Also, I never signed up to be a teacher; I'm not running around with a neon light blue name; am I right?
When I do give advice and "teach", I do it when I want to, and usually for the people that actually want to learn.

It's a good thing you're making your decision on *who* to teach based on such god-like intuition.

Take away my light blue and I'd have the same opinion, but probably with more curses.

Stay classy.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:01 am
([msg=73227]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:It's a good thing you're making your decision on *who* to teach based on such god-like intuition.

-ninjex- wrote:When I do give advice and "teach", I do it when I want to, and usually for the people that actually want to learn.

This is my last post on this, as it is rude to flood these forums with nonsense bullshit, that is way off topic still.
I'm assuming you either can't read, don't want to read, or can't comprehend what people have to say.
I'm just curious on how you came to the conclusion that I teach based on god-like intuition; that is fucking stupid.
The part about me not being a mod, is a backup statement to why I don't have to teach if I do not feel like it.

If the kid was curious about Linux, you would except him to do some research first. He did not. He just wanted an explanation with no leg work. If he would have looked into it, he might have found out, or got confused and then asked. Then it would have played out differently.

fashizzlepop wrote:Take away my light blue

I would if I could.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by limdis on Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:56 am
([msg=73229]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Alright gentlemen, as much as I like a good debate I think this has gone far enough. It's gotten too personal and is derailing the topic. On that note I don't want to lock this because there is some good stuff being posted.

Now back on topic then:

It's kind of hard to narrow it down to just 10. I personally use windows mostly, not because I don't like linux, I love linux. But I also love my games; which we all know is where linux is a little behind the power curve on stability. Once that changes, I'm dumping windows for good.

So for my everyday use that can fit pretty much everyone's needs (windows):
1. Firefox
2. uTorrent
3. Nmap
4. Notepad++ (or similiar)
5. Truecrypt
6. Sandboxie
7. VLC
8. Tor
9. Wireshark
10. Hex editor (any)

For hackery:
Backtrack covers my needs for now, minus only a couple of custom tools that have to be added in yourself.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:22 pm
([msg=73290]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Why do people still prefer Firefox? I only use Chrome now.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:39 pm
([msg=73292]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

I'm not sure, they are both greatly optimized browsers, chrome may be a bit more secure since it loads pages in a sandboxy. I think it's mainly a matter of personal preference, I personally like FF because I think some of the addons work a bit better / are to my liking. Chrome however also has a lot of pages stored in cache making it feel much faster than FF out of the box.

Saying I like playing with fire really isn't a logical reason, so yeah...

I even like Opera and Konqueror, but I still prefer FF :geek:
Last edited by -Ninjex- on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by mShred on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:48 pm
([msg=73293]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Why do people still prefer Firefox? I only use Chrome now.

In all honesty, I'd almost agree with you. It pains me to say that. Mostly because I have an undying loyalty to FF.. But I can't deny that it's gone downhill with the fifteen hundred updates that they've gone through. FF 3 was the shit. Right when they switched to 4 ish, they started their decent. Chrome is solid and easy to work with now. And the addons can go either way.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by KthProg on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:38 pm
([msg=73302]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

firefox came first so im attached, but i don't use it.
chrome is a memory hogger.
i got rid of it because it took 10* more memory than IE.
i know this is terrible, but ive gone back to using ie for my light browsing.
it's just plain faster and more lightweight
i did like the ability to add '-incognito' to the chrome shortcut to always run in incognito mode though.

opening chrome on my pc opened 3-6 instances of chrome each taking 20,000k to 60,000k memory.

it wouldn't matter now since i added 2 more gb of memory but i have no respect for an applikation that takes up that much memory, imo that represents inneficient programming.

PS: we can probably avoid adds by changing words that link to them lol.
i just changed app_lication to applikation
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by 0phidian on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:52 pm
([msg=73303]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

I like the interface for Firefox better, and I like that it is so easy to customize. I also like it because it's an open source project, I know chrome has an open source version, but I mean that it's developed my a community rather than a large company. Mostly I use it because I have just always used Firefox.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:07 pm
([msg=73307]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

KthProg wrote:PS: we can probably avoid adds by changing words that link to them lol.
i just changed app_lication to applikation

You could also just get the add-blocker addon as well.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by zeriasis2 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:51 pm
([msg=73336]see Re: Top Ten Programs[/msg])

Well I wanna put my 2 cents in on the above argument because I guess in a sense I kinda started it and then that's the end of it.
Well I just wanted the short sweet run down because the what's gonna effect if I like the sound of it and that will determine if I do my own research or not. There is so much bullshit on the internet its not even funny you can Google something and it come up with 50 different answers would rather hear it first from someone on a website that most of its users probably have or use Linux.

-Ninjex- wrote: Again, "real short sweet simple run down" this quote is why I didn't bother with my time responding.
What is wrong with asking for a quick rundown? Nothing is wrong with asking of course, but when you ask for something, you shouldn't tell the person how you want them to answer your question.

-Ninjex- wrote:Too much to type.
Just switch to it and save me the task of typing a bunch of endless things.

It's alright for you to just basically command me to just switch to the OS instead of any kind of civil or logical response.
And the only reason I said "real short sweet simple run down" is because YOU SAID "save me the task of typing a bunch of endless things".

-- Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:53 pm --

Yea I'm liking Firefox a lot more right now less memory usage cause I only have 2gbs of memory at the moment until I get my new computer. But IE Runs the best so far out of both of them. I used to be a Chrome Diehard didn't like anything else but they just got sloppy and IE passed them up.
zeriasis2
New User
New User

PreviousNext

Return to General