getting a new computer!! <3

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: getting a new computer!! <3

Post by 0phidian on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm
([msg=73023]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
0phidian wrote:Technically yes, but it would be extremely tedious and complex. I definetely could not help you there.

Since it's the old one it just depends on if you want to keep the old OS and dualboot or not. The two operating sytems would be completely seperate so the only thing it would effect is how much free space you would have on your harddrive.

Technically no. You used to, back in the good old days, but now your bootloader won't let you boot up without an operating system. Even with Grub you can't do much in its command line except point it to the start of your OS/Set boot parameters.

Oh, since they used to I just assumed you probably still could. So if you wrote some code on another machine you couldnt run it on one with no OS, unless it was an OS you wrote?
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: getting a new computer!! <3

Post by centip3de on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 pm
([msg=73025]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

0phidian wrote:Oh, since they used to I just assumed you probably still could. So if you wrote some code on another machine you couldnt run it on one with no OS, unless it was an OS you wrote?

Well, no OS means no compiler, no interpreter, no file system, no kernel, no process management, no libraries of any kind (shut-up, BIOS interrupts are NOT libraries), no editor, no CLI, no nothing. If you wrote your program, translated it into binary, and included some very basic OS implementation that called your "kernel" (program), you might be able to get away with it, but you would have to code your program in such a way that it doesn't rely on ANY external libraries, unless you wrote them to.

When I said, "back in the good old days", I meant WAY back in the day when programs were manually-hardwired. (Read here.)
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to General