getting a new computer!! <3

General technological topics without their own forum go here

getting a new computer!! <3

Post by mookalovesgloop on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 pm
([msg=72867]see getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

peace yall

i'm not bragging or anything, i HAVE to...i've been using an xp gateway notebook for YEARS and it is to' up, lol!! :oops: so i'm just gonna suck it up and grab a new one. i had just a *few* questions for you guys before i proceed though...

first off, i'd like your suggestions for my next laptop. it has to be a laptop--also, i'm on a freshly graduated and horribly underemployed (with a kid) budget so i REALLY can't go above about a 500 dollar budget...i do lots of browsing and downloading and have a weakness for flash games with lots of frames and pretty animations. right now if i try to play games my whole computer goes laggy till i reboot again. also i'd love to be able upload and play the sims on my new computer too :oops:

second question is, how can i make my old computer (this one) free and clear to use as a playstation, so to speak? i really wanna learn about this mysterious linux thing, but everything i read about it makes me think i'll screw up my computer cause i'm a noob. and i wanna explore some other things i've learned about ...but i have a hunch that some of them may not be best executed on the computer YOU use...and stuff like that, lol

sorry this is so long winded. any pointers/feedback are truly appreciated <3 <3 <3

blessings

mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: getting a new computer!! <3

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:59 pm
([msg=72871]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:peace yall

i'm not bragging or anything, i HAVE to...i've been using an xp gateway notebook for YEARS and it is to' up, lol!! :oops: so i'm just gonna suck it up and grab a new one. i had just a *few* questions for you guys before i proceed though...

first off, i'd like your suggestions for my next laptop. it has to be a laptop--also, i'm on a freshly graduated and horribly underemployed (with a kid) budget so i REALLY can't go above about a 500 dollar budget...i do lots of browsing and downloading and have a weakness for flash games with lots of frames and pretty animations. right now if i try to play games my whole computer goes laggy till i reboot again. also i'd love to be able upload and play the sims on my new computer too :oops:

I have an acer aspire and it cost me around $500 and it has been great to me

Specs:
Memory: 4GB
HDD: 500GB
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II N970 Quad-Core Processor × 4
Graphics: Raedeon HD 4200 series

mookalovesgloop wrote:second question is, how can i make my old computer (this one) free and clear to use as a playstation, so to speak? i really wanna learn about this mysterious linux thing, but everything i read about it makes me think i'll screw up my computer cause i'm a noob. and i wanna explore some other things i've learned about ...but i have a hunch that some of them may not be best executed on the computer YOU use...and stuff like that, lol

sorry this is so long winded. any pointers/feedback are truly appreciated <3 <3 <3

blessings

mooka

I don't know about making a gaming rig out of it, but the total linux thing would be great for your machine! It isn't as hard as it sounds, just go grab an ubuntu iso file and burn it to a CD and install it. You will be surprised how much easier it is than you would have initially thought! Once you get good with linux, you can try out Backtrack and make a penetration testing lab between both of your computers for hands on training situations.
Last edited by -Ninjex- on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by 0phidian on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 pm
([msg=72873]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

Unless you want it for gaming >= $500 is plenty. You can generally get better deals online somewhere like newegg or amazon.

Linux isn't scary, Ubuntu and Linux Mint have great installers and are basiclly impossible to screw up. The only part to worry about is the partitioning, but in Ubuntu and Mint you just click install alongside windows so you dont have to worry about it. You can try out other Linux distros in a virtual machine too.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am
([msg=72874]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:peace yall

second question is, how can i make my old computer (this one) free and clear to use as a playstation, so to speak? i really wanna learn about this mysterious linux thing, but everything i read about it makes me think i'll screw up my computer cause i'm a noob. and i wanna explore some other things i've learned about ...but i have a hunch that some of them may not be best executed on the computer YOU use...and stuff like that, lol

blessings

mooka

What Ninjex said.

Also, this probably should have been posted to Hardware or Off Topic.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by mookalovesgloop on Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 pm
([msg=72956]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

thanks for the tips guys :mrgreen: one last thing, in you guys opinion would it be of any benefit/learning experience to remove EVERYTHING from the computer's memory including the OS and really start using it from scratch?

peace,
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by 0phidian on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 pm
([msg=72966]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:thanks for the tips guys :mrgreen: one last thing, in you guys opinion would it be of any benefit/learning experience to remove EVERYTHING from the computer's memory including the OS and really start using it from scratch?

peace,
mooka

The new computer?

[Asuming you plan on using Windows]
Most of the time when the OS is preinstalled so is a bunch of crap the company put on there, so doing your own fresh installation is nice. Then again you could just uninstall anything you dont want/need, so it would probably be simpler just to do that. I dont know that there is too much to learn, except for maybe how to boot from a disk/flashdrive. You would probably learn more from installing Linux on your old machine since it's a different OS than your used to.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by mookalovesgloop on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 pm
([msg=72972]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

0phidian wrote:
mookalovesgloop wrote:thanks for the tips guys :mrgreen: one last thing, in you guys opinion would it be of any benefit/learning experience to remove EVERYTHING from the computer's memory including the OS and really start using it from scratch?<br><br>peace,<br>mooka
<br><br>The new computer?<br><br>[Asuming you plan on using Windows]<br>Most of the time when the OS is preinstalled so is a bunch of crap the company put on there, so doing your own fresh installation is nice. Then again you could just uninstall anything you dont want/need, so it would probably be simpler just to do that. I dont know that there is too much to learn, except for maybe how to boot from a disk/flashdrive. You would probably learn more from installing Linux on your old machine since it's a different OS than your used to.

peace

no way man! definitely was talking about wiping the old computer, lol...but that pretty much answers my question... can you program a computer with no os?
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 pm
([msg=72974]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:no way man! definitely was talking about wiping the old computer, lol...but that pretty much answers my question... can you program a computer with no os?

You are going to try and program an os?! :o

I'm not sure, never worked with that.
Or did you mean something along the lines of working with linux?
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by 0phidian on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:53 pm
([msg=72975]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

peace

no way man! definitely was talking about wiping the old computer, lol...but that pretty much answers my question... can you program a computer with no os?

Technically yes, but it would be extremely tedious and complex. I definetely could not help you there.

Since it's the old one it just depends on if you want to keep the old OS and dualboot or not. The two operating sytems would be completely seperate so the only thing it would effect is how much free space you would have on your harddrive.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:39 pm
([msg=73014]see Re: getting a new computer!! <3[/msg])

0phidian wrote:Technically yes, but it would be extremely tedious and complex. I definetely could not help you there.

Since it's the old one it just depends on if you want to keep the old OS and dualboot or not. The two operating sytems would be completely seperate so the only thing it would effect is how much free space you would have on your harddrive.

Technically no. You used to, back in the good old days, but now your bootloader won't let you boot up without an operating system. Even with Grub you can't do much in its command line except point it to the start of your OS/Set boot parameters.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Next

Return to General