electronics

General technological topics without their own forum go here

electronics

Post by pretentious on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:34 pm
([msg=72745]see electronics[/msg])

anyone here interested in electronics? I've been doing a bit of playing around with soldering and testing the resistance of everything i can get my hands on, with a multimeter haha. My goal is to some extent bridge the software/hardware gap though i'm starting out and will probably soon enough be overwhelmed by what that actually means :P
Anyone else played around with this stuff
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
User avatar
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by Drizna on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 pm
([msg=72746]see Re: electronics[/msg])

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
Damn kid.


"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those damn kids." :) Sorry had to do a Scooby reference there.

You know I have always wanted to mess with soldering components together, but was afraid that I would end up soldering my fingers together instead.
Drizna
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by pretentious on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 pm
([msg=72747]see Re: electronics[/msg])

Drizna wrote:
IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
Damn kid.


"And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for those damn kids." :) Sorry had to do a Scooby reference there.

You know I have always wanted to mess with soldering components together, but was afraid that I would end up soldering my fingers together instead.

Some parts hot and you have to respect that, but for the most part I don't take any obsessive safety precautions and havn't done any mortal damage damage to myself yet :D
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
User avatar
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by Drizna on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:59 pm
([msg=72748]see Re: electronics[/msg])

Cool, so what you are telling me is I am paranoid. I accept that. :P

Also at first I thought your title said Poser, not poster. Stupid 23" monitor making small text.
Drizna
Experienced User
Experienced User
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by pretentious on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm
([msg=72750]see Re: electronics[/msg])

Drizna wrote:Cool, so what you are telling me is I am paranoid. I accept that. :P

the paranoid survive ;)
According to a quick wikipedia search, solder has a melting point of 90 to 450 °C (190 to 840 °F)
for small stuff that i've been messing with, i'd assume it's at the lower end of that, it also seems to cool down quickely and there isn't much of it being used at one time so you should be pretty safe. The iron is the part that you should be careful of because there is a fare bit of surface erea being hot.
Drizna wrote:Also at first I thought your title said Poser, not poster. Stupid 23" monitor making small text.

yeah i think that's after 100 posts the description changes
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
User avatar
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 627
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by WallShadow on Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm
([msg=72794]see Re: electronics[/msg])

I've lately been toying with electronics, taking apart anything i can get my hands on. You can find some very interesting things inside every day objects. I have an array of electrical components and chips i wish to someday find a use for. As for safety, the only thing i really fear is charged capacitors. Anyone actually know a safe way of decharging them? I've heard of connecting the two wires on them to short it out, of taking a grounding wire and touching it, and the simple fact that anything having less than a joule inside of it is generally safe, but still.
User avatar
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


Re: electronics

Post by weekend hacker on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 am
([msg=73008]see Re: electronics[/msg])

As a general rule, never mess with stuff thats plugged in and yeah, short the caps before touching anything. Some devices like old tv's or even power supplies can hold a charge big enough to kill you for several months after being unplugged.
As for soldering, I've burned myself countless times but its really not that big of a deal. If something hurts stop touching it and you'll probably avoid permanent damage.
I'm currently studying electronics since I have no idea about most of the calculations etc involved and I can tell you its a lot of fun :D
As for bridging the software and hardware gap.. look into microcontrollers(AVR's are cheap), or even an arduino(which is a simple board with a microcontroller that does almost everything for you so you can focus on experimentation).
There is so much you can do with just some transistors and a microcontroller(robots!) that doesn't involve any complex calculations like you'd use for converting a signals etc.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
User avatar
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Blog: View Blog (0)



Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests