Hiding Files [Different Techniques]

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Hiding Files [Different Techniques]

Post by KthProg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 am
([msg=72708]see Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

I read about a technique to hide files based on a command having something to do with Apples old file system.
I cant figure out where the hell this article is.

When you hide the file this way, it doesn't show up in Cmd or explorer and the file size appears the same.
I know you can hide files by copying them in to another file, but this is too suspicious, it changes the file size.

Does anyone know what this technique may have been?

it worked something like this:

>asl file1.txt:file2.txt

not 100% sure about the syntax or the command itself.
Thank you.

Also I suppose post any info you have on hiding information here.

-- Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:16 pm --

here's a link on how to hide with the COPY command
http://www.exnol.com/hide-files-under-o ... and-prompt

-- Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:18 pm --

You can also hide text files by adding :Hidden to the end of the file when you create it.
[it will appear to be empty when opened]

ex.
>notepad hidden.txt:hidden

-- Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm --

Here's how to hide one text file in another without copy
http://www.megaleecher.net/Notepad_Tric ... Text_Files
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques]

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:20 pm
([msg=72709]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

Why hide when you can encrypt :twisted:

I am on a linux system, and you can change your directories around to other places, making your desktop appear to be any directory you want. You can add a "." before the name on linux for a hidden file. If you have a file and a exe, you can merge them together as well. In windows there is the simple way of clicking the button as hide from the properties. I think hiding the file is just so much worse than encrypting it.
There are several other ways to hide files/folders, but I can't think of many off of the top of my head.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 pm
([msg=72710]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

well it was only this specific technique that I thought would really be interesting, because noone but you would know the file was there, not even your file system.
If you could give me more information on encryption id be interested in that too.

but in the case of linux, what youre saying it sounds like the file system of the PC still knows the file is there, so anyone knowledgable in linux could find them.

as far as the hidden property of files goes, yes and anyone can turn on hidden file viewing, but these methods are separate from that property.
speaking of which there is also a technique in windows to mark your file in cmd as a system file, which will make it unviewable unless system file viewing is on, but likewise, anyone looking for the file WILL find it.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by madsmaks on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:04 pm
([msg=72713]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

KthProg wrote:speaking of which there is also a technique in windows to mark your file in cmd as a system file, which will make it unviewable unless system file viewing is on, but likewise, anyone looking for the file WILL find it.

The command you're referring to is the attrib command. Run in a Windows command prompt you can set or remove specific file attributes - Read Only, System, Hidden, Archive. To set the attribute use + and to remove the attribute use -.

So to set a file called myfile.txt as a hidden and system file:
attrib +s +h myfile.txt

As you say though not particularly useful as hidden files can be viewed simply by using the attribute switch with the dir command:
dir /a:h
madsmaks
New User
New User

Post by Drizna on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:37 pm
([msg=72717]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

madsmaks wrote:
KthProg wrote:speaking of which there is also a technique in windows to mark your file in cmd as a system file, which will make it unviewable unless system file viewing is on, but likewise, anyone looking for the file WILL find it.

The command you're referring to is the attrib command. Run in a Windows command prompt you can set or remove specific file attributes - Read Only, System, Hidden, Archive. To set the attribute use + and to remove the attribute use -.

So to set a file called myfile.txt as a hidden and system file:
attrib +s +h myfile.txt

As you say though not particularly useful as hidden files can be viewed simply by using the attribute switch with the dir command:
dir /a:h

Yup. If someone sets your view system to show hidden files/folders everything you hidden will appear before them. Best to encrypt it.
Drizna
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:15 pm
([msg=72722]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

KthProg wrote:but likewise, anyone looking for the file WILL find it.

That would go for any file / directory in any system. It's always better to encrypt.
Look into TrueCrypt if you have windows or *nix system, and Mcrypt for a *nix system as well, that should give you some good information on how encryption would work.

Mcrypt is pretty nice, as you can choose what type of encryption algorithm you want to use, such as blowfish.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:24 pm
([msg=72724]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

Im still interested in trying to find out what this mystery command is at the top though, I couldnt find it anywhere after I read the original article.

Let me know if you have any idea.

its not any of the commands I posted and is invisible to the file system.

Also, does anyone know how I would write a program to do my own encryption?
I just need a general Idea, I'd be more comfortable using my own software.
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:27 pm
([msg=72726]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

The worst idea is to try and program your own algorithm for encrypting files. Unless of course you are really great at it. Look into php encryption and it should lead you into some pretty cool results. You may be able to find a php encryption reference, and study how it works, and then go about making yours.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by KthProg on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:34 pm
([msg=72729]see Re: Hiding Files [Different Techniques][/msg])

lol im a master of text manipulation in .NET frameworks.
Also thinking maybe I could use linear transformations for some of it which would really throw people off @_@
does it just increase character values and things like that...?
then change them back when they're opened?
KthProg
Poster
Poster

Return to General