Linux Desktop to Home Directory

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Linux Desktop to Home Directory

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:20 am
([msg=72550]see Linux Desktop to Home Directory[/msg])

I was recently messing around and ecryting and hidding files, folders, and directories, when I got curious.
I opened up my terminal and changed into my home directory and ran
Code: Select all
sudo mv Desktop/ .Desktop/

I expected this to make my workspace blank or something, I was wrong.
As I had expected my Desktop went away right before my eyes. Only to be replaced moments later by my home directory. So appearantly making your workspace directory hidden will force you to use the directory above it. I didn't like this however, and tried to name it back to the normal Desktop. The file name changed back, and the directory looks great. However, my workspace is still my home directory. This is so weird haha. Has anyone else ever done this? Seems pretty good for hidding stuff as well, because people expect your workspace to be your Desktop, and you could infact be using the home directory with a hidden and encrypted Desktop directory with all of your neat stuff as well as having a regular Desktop file with items copied from the home directory into it to make it look similar.

[Edit] If you want to try this for lulz, to fix it you can just run the following code and change your directory back.
However, always run with caution, and don't run it if you are not confident before so...
Code: Select all
sudo nano ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs
XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME/Desktop"
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Linux Desktop to Home Directory

Post by NewVoxel on Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:24 am
([msg=73133]see Re: Linux Desktop to Home Directory[/msg])

What is this witchcraft?
"Don't include a single line in your code which you could not explain to your grandmother in a matter of two minutes."

And of course... assume your grandmother is not Ada Lovelace.

http://www.newvoxel.com/
NewVoxel
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General