Aaron Swartz

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Aaron Swartz

Post by 0phidian on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:06 am
([msg=72276]see Aaron Swartz[/msg])

I know this kind of stuff is nothing new, but 50 years for downloading scholarly journal articles!!! I thought TYT did a pretty good job of putting things into perspective. Why Did Aaron Swartz Face More Prison Time Than Killers?
Its interesting how information and financial damage are far more dangerous than violence.

R.I.P. Aaron Swartz.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Aaron Swartz

Post by weekend hacker on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 am
([msg=72281]see Re: Aaron Swartz[/msg])

Imgur informed me of this pretty quickly (and then reminded me every 5 minutes with a repost), very sad. Now we'll never find out what he'd come up with next.
This sort of thing happens all the time, the founder of this very website is facing 30 years to life for some hackery stuff. TYT did a very good job at reminding us that the justice system is mostly unfair. He seemed really upset about it.
I'd hope this will serve as a wakeup call and cause some changes for the better, but I doubt it... americans are very good at forgetting things they want to forget.

But don't let any of this keep you from hacking, searching information or setting it free. History is likely to recognize these times as the dark ages for information. And there is nothing we can do but keep fighting for that better world to arrive.
Most of you will never face 50 years and even if you do this is not the end. If you're feeling depressed talk to someone, join a support group, seek professional help or call one of the suicide hotlines.
HTS has known the pain of losing someone to suicide too. No matter who you are or what your situation there are people who care about you. Even if these people are just strangers on the internet.

RIP Aaron Swartz, RIP Neme
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General