#Zombies :o

General technological topics without their own forum go here

#Zombies :o

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 pm
([msg=72208]see #Zombies :o[/msg])

Okay, so lately my laptop has been heating up so bad that if I powered it off and turn it upside down, I could fry an egg on it. So I haven't really been the person to dig around into linux monitoring tools, but I thought it was about that time, or my computer would probably fry. I grabbed atop and htop, and I found out that I have a process called #Zombie which if I researched correctly, I believe it to be a proccessing error from after a process has completed and executed, but still has the parent process awaiting the childs exit on the process table.
I have tried to kill the process, yet it refuses to listen; so much for dead pepole listening.
The Zombie process seems to go away on it's own after about 5-10 minutes at times.
I was wondering if someone here had more informtion about how to go about removing the Zombie that randomly occurs and possibly go about pinpointing the Zombies original process, and hopefully resolving the issue.

In other news, the colors on my laptop are messed up and everything that is supposed to look black is green. From my experiments, I believe it to be a hardware problem; maybe something came lose that connects to the monitor on the inside. The only probably is that I have no idea how to go about taking a laptop apart, and I do not want to mess anything up or end up frying myself more than my laptop could fry an egg.

Wonderful....

Disclosure - No eggs have been harmed in the attempt of trying to find and kill #Zombies
Last edited by -Ninjex- on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: #Zombies :o

Post by WallShadow on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:16 pm
([msg=72212]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Okay, so lately my laptop has been heating up so bad that if I powered it off and turn it upside down, I could fry an egg on it.

I don't know about your laptop, but mine is built to be a powerful laptop to run serious video games and such. Terrible but great at the same time, don't ask how. Basically, the fan in this computer for some reason starts working poorly after several months and I have to take it out about every three months, add some motor oil to it, and dust it off a bit. After that it works like a charm for the next few months. Did you try checking that? If not that, then maybe the oil pipe heat sink is failing to conduct heat for some reason?

-Ninjex- wrote:or end up frying myself more than my laptop could fry an egg.

Generally if you disconnect the DC, remove the battery, and hold the power button for a few minutes, there usually aren't any dangerous high voltage capacitors/induction-coils inside a laptop to kill you. That's only in the laptop's DC case or a desktop's power box.

-Ninjex- wrote:Disclosure - No eggs have been harmed in the attempt of trying to find and kill #Zombies

Awwww, but i hate eggs...

<3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 pm
([msg=72214]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_process

Chances are this is a hardware problem as Zombie processes don't effect much more than memory which wouldn't cause you CPU to be burning up.

I'd take WallShadow's advice and look inside.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 am
([msg=72228]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

Yeah so I straight up took my laptop apart with no experience and thought I messed it up about 4 times haha
I had to take everything aprt from the keyboard to the monitor. I managed to fix the issue with my graphics being messed up. I also cleaned out my fan which was pretty dirty, and we will see if it works well now.
However, I also managed to mess my number 6 button on the top row of my laptop up (the one on the number pad works fine) and also managed to mess up the shift button on the left hand side of my keyboard. Everything else works like a charm and I am not sure why those two keys are not working.
Also, I do not know why, but after I booted my computer up, I am being brought to a Debian loading screen and then I get an error message and it boots up into Ubuntu afterwards. Pretty weird...

Anywho, thanks for the advice!! I enjoyed taking my laptop apart and learning new things about the hardware inside, which I had no clue about.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:29 am
([msg=72232]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

Ubuntu is based on debian so that makes sense.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am
([msg=72234]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

As far as the keyboard issue goes, the keys either got messed up while taking it apart or possibly the connection to the motherboard isn't to secure. Just for the hell of it I would disconnect/re-connect the keyboard then try again. If that still doesn't work you could easily buy and install a new keyboard for your make and model. It shouldn't be to expensive.

I remember having a zombie process on one of the linux distros I was using at the time. Can't remember it was well over a year ago. It had something to do with the file explorer. Wish I still saved the website which helped me find the issue.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:46 pm
([msg=72236]see Re: #Zombies :o[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:As far as the keyboard issue goes, the keys either got messed up while taking it apart or possibly the connection to the motherboard isn't to secure. Just for the hell of it I would disconnect/re-connect the keyboard then try again. If that still doesn't work you could easily buy and install a new keyboard for your make and model. It shouldn't be to expensive.

I remember having a zombie process on one of the linux distros I was using at the time. Can't remember it was well over a year ago. It had something to do with the file explorer. Wish I still saved the website which helped me find the issue.

You are probably right, it is probably a connection to the mother board, the keys are on properly and secure and in the right spot. I don't know hardware too much, but there is 'like' a thin black sheet that lays under the keyboard on the edges. I happened to accidently tear it a bit. I actually will probably just get a new keyboard, cause I am thinking about geekin it out.

As for the site, don't worry about it, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

-- Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 pm --

fashizzlepop wrote:Ubuntu is based on debian so that makes sense.

I know, but it doesn't make sense to load into a debian grub menu when I never have before...
Anyway, I just ran a update-grub and it fixed the issue.
^(-.^)>
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General