getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!!

General technological topics without their own forum go here

getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!!

Post by mookalovesgloop on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:40 pm
([msg=71982]see getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

so i was just googling myself (tipsy, blowed, bored, no work tomorrow) and found me about 3 pages in on whitepages.com...there doesn't seem to be a way to contact the site's owners...is there any other legal way for my personal info to UN-be on their website...i know it's just a directory and i did really good at being invisible otherwise--my full name doesn't return any results on any social sites and stuff like that (well, not for me but of course there are others with my name)

any suggestions?

peace and blessings
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!!

Post by limdis on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm
([msg=72033]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

You will rarely get a site owner unless it's a smaller website. Best bet is to try and find an admin email address. Just state the nature of your reasons for wanting it removed. I've had to do this a couple of times and it's never been much of a problem; except once.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by mookalovesgloop on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:49 pm
([msg=72036]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

thanks...i'm gonna give that a go that is of course if i don't get lazy and forget

i also wanted to ask...does it matter what name is on your hard drive? ... you know how in windows when it lists all your directories it's like : C:\Windows\Your Name

i have that set to something about as silly as mookalovesgloop! :lol: i was just wondering, if it really came down to it, would that matter or do the tracks go waaaaaayyyyy deeper? (yes, right??!)

i didn't think this question needed its own thread, i hope it's okay that i went off track!

peace and blessings!
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:15 pm
([msg=72037]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

mookalovesgloop wrote:i also wanted to ask...does it matter what name is on your hard drive?

It depends. For example, if you are ripping CDs into FLACs and you are keeping ripping logs (required for some private music trackers) and using a program like EAC, the log files will list the save file on your drive. Therefore, if you are saving your rips to somewhere within your user directory and then you upload your rip log, you will make your user freely available to see if someone were to download your torrents. Whether or not that is important to you (some private trackers do not allow you to do this for privacy) you should probably refrain from saving stuff like that in your user directory.

Note, this IS something that you can just edit out in a text file but the hash in the log won't match the final text file.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:07 pm
([msg=72051]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

Isn't white pages basicly just THE phone book? Part of the whole <look at me I'm a colour> pages system which has White Pages, Yellow Pages and Blue Pages? One for people, one for businesses, and one for government stuff. To not get listed in those pages you have to do whatever the procedure is to not be listed in a phone book. This probably involves calling your phone company and telling them you'd like an unlisted number. They issue a new one every year so it might take a while before you're actually unlisted for real.
(protip, white/yellow/blue pages are totally free and earn their money from advertising. You probably automagically get a new one each year that may be limited to your country/state/region/whatever to keep it phonebook sized. Collecting this has absolutely no value at all except ofcourse if you are an OCD dox collector. Once its been printed even if someone like mooka changes her mind about being public, the information is out there somewhere...)
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mookalovesgloop on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:38 pm
([msg=72056]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

that's just the thing! i haven't had a landline phone in AGES...in fact, i've never had a landline through a major phone company registered in my own name...yet, on white pages.com there's my name, my street address down to the APARTMENT NUMBER and my fucking MOM's name! WHY is this so readily available??? it bugs the crap out of me for some reason...the phone number that's listed with the info is complete nonsense...it's not even local to where i am, but everything else is exactly on point....so scary! :o :shock: :o

so i wouldn't even know which phone company to call to begin with and how the info got there is beyond me...

peace
mooka
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by Kage on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 pm
([msg=72057]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

Major bonus points for the Homestar Runner reference in the thread title.
~ Kage ~

HackThisSite Manager
Kage
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mookalovesgloop on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:58 pm
([msg=72141]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

Kage wrote:Major bonus points for the Homestar Runner reference in the thread title.

soooo...yeah i only just learned that this is a thing....what the hell, man?! lmfao!! :lol: :mrgreen:

i only saw a couple of youtube clips...where did that come from??

peace
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 pm
([msg=72146]see Re: getitoffgetitoffgetitoff!!![/msg])

-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General