7 years of torment

General technological topics without their own forum go here

7 years of torment

Post by Pours on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:11 am
([msg=71862]see 7 years of torment[/msg])

I was searching through realistic missions and spotted one that was astoundingly similar to a problem i've had for seven years now, a debt collection company has my phone number and calls me at least once a week and asks for a Miss "Denise Kitchen" for 7 years i've told them this has never been that persons number and i've been getting these calls for 7 years (sometimes three + times daily for months at a time) I politely ask them to delete the number every time they have called, to which i'm assured the number has been deleted and it will not happen again, yet it happens again. I got sick of this a number of years ago.

I obviously do not want you to do anything about it, not my personal army and all that, against ToS, etc, but i was wondering if there are things that could be done to the site with enough knowledge. Give them grief like they have me for seven years.

Nobody likes debt collectors in the first place without them doing this.

I'd like to link the site if that is okay and maybe you could tell me how secure it looks? I honestly don't plan on doing anything but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

And i know i know "change your number" but i've had it so long now and i've memorised it and it means a lot to me.
Pours
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 7 years of torment

Post by WallShadow on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 pm
([msg=71863]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

Contact their office, get a hold of whomever is in charge, explain the situation and tell him to delete the number from the database or where ever it is held. If they still call you, call him again. If they still call you, call him again. If they still call you, call him again and threaten to sue.

If he doesn't do anything and says "get lost!", feel free to attack his server and wipe the database yourself. Make sure not to deface the site or something like that before you delete the database, and also look for backups, they probably have backups of all the databases.

jk, that's illegal and shit. totally don't follow my advice or anything.

Disclaimer :
HackThisSite does not support illegal activities.
The management of this board is not responsible for the content of any external internet sites.

- WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:54 pm
([msg=71864]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

Yeah, your best bet would be to just go to their customer support shizz. They'll take your number off their lists and whatnot.
But in reality, you haven't changed your number in seven years? Get a new number if they aren't gonna budge. I probably would have by now.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 pm
([msg=71867]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

This is legal advice I've heard from a professional on this topic: give them a verbal cease and desist and warn them if they call again that it is stalking and harassment. Followup with a written cease and desist and if they continue then you have legal grounds to sue and you can get money from them. Talk to an attorney if they continue calling after sending the written cease and desist.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm
([msg=71970]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

You may also want to try talking to your phone company. Explain the situation and try to make small talk. They would be able to tell how often they call and with a little politeness you may realize you have more options than you originally thought.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by SneakerNet on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 am
([msg=72334]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

Get the Note II, comes with a built in call blocking feature. Look up the most recent laws of the FDCPA and see if their calling breaches any of those rules set in place, you could be owed $1000.
SneakerNet
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:23 am
([msg=72335]see Re: 7 years of torment[/msg])

Pours wrote:I was searching through realistic missions and spotted one that was astoundingly similar to a problem i've had for seven years now, a debt collection company has my phone number and calls me at least once a week and asks for a Miss "Denise Kitchen" for 7 years i've told them this has never been that persons number and i've been getting these calls for 7 years (sometimes three + times daily for months at a time) I politely ask them to delete the number every time they have called, to which i'm assured the number has been deleted and it will not happen again, yet it happens again. I got sick of this a number of years ago.

I obviously do not want you to do anything about it, not my personal army and all that, against ToS, etc, but i was wondering if there are things that could be done to the site with enough knowledge. Give them grief like they have me for seven years.

Nobody likes debt collectors in the first place without them doing this.

I'd like to link the site if that is okay and maybe you could tell me how secure it looks? I honestly don't plan on doing anything but my curiosity has gotten the better of me.

And i know i know "change your number" but i've had it so long now and i've memorised it and it means a lot to me.

In my most honest and humble opinion, I wouldn't call it "torment". If it indeed was, then well, you could have been smarter. There are tons of ways to block a number out of a phone. Just ask yourself, do you think facing a prison sentence is worth it? I understand they "tormented" you, but imagine what torment in prison would be like. Be thankful you don't know how, and hopefully that you will not attack their site.
To answer your question; yes, with enough knowledge you coud do something to the site.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General