beginner sandbox

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: beginner sandbox

Post by EcceGratum on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 am
([msg=71540]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:I'd set up a VM with WebGoat. That's probably the best sandbox for you.

This VM sounds good. It's specially designed for pentest! Thanks.
EcceGratum
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by fashizzlepop on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 am
([msg=71543]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

EcceGratum wrote:
fashizzlepop wrote:I'd set up a VM with WebGoat. That's probably the best sandbox for you.
<br>This VM sounds good. It's specially designed for pentest! Thanks.

Also to build and secure web apps.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by edone automaton on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:44 am
([msg=71546]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
Speaking of cheapo dells, anyone know a simple place to get them?

What I do:
Go to nearest Tip / Dump / Recycling place and hand the man enough £s / $s to buy himself a couple of beers / some crack. He will then turn a blind eye as you fill the back of your car with whatever your heart desires. This way you also get to practice fixing up old computers and its fun to see what some folks leave on their HDDs ;)
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by WallShadow on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm
([msg=71552]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

edone automaton wrote:
WallShadow wrote:
Speaking of cheapo dells, anyone know a simple place to get them?

What I do:
Go to nearest Tip / Dump / Recycling place and hand the man enough £s / $s to buy himself a couple of beers / some crack. He will then turn a blind eye as you fill the back of your car with whatever your heart desires. This way you also get to practice fixing up old computers and its fun to see what some folks leave on their HDDs ;)

Awesome! But before I actually go and do this, how much would you normally hand?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by edone automaton on Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:45 am
([msg=71561]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:
Awesome! But before I actually go and do this, how much would you normally hand?

Well, what I used to do was give the main guy £10, shoot the shit for a while, talk about football or whatever. Now though, I get a 20 pack of beers for £11 and hand those over because there are three dudes that work there, this way everyone is happy. Just have a chat and try to gauge the situation, see if anyone else is taking stuff away. Are the people that work there pulling things that look to be worth something to one side?

My local recycling place has one of those metal shipping containers which is full of computer stuff, the vast majority of which there is nothing wrong with. so its well worth establishing some sort of rapport, they even keep the shiniest bits in a separate container!

It has crossed my mind before that I might be able to approach the local council (who are responsible for the recycling centre) and give them some story about me being a computer student, could I have a permit to take some stuff away? But TBH, I dont mind buying a few beers for the sake of the money I save. The fellas at the dump never try to sell me Norton either :D
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:54 am
([msg=71562]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

Really, a low power vm running something lightweight or even just a simple ubuntu server is good enough for webgoat. Having a full box running may be kinda cool but it can be loud, warm, and takes up space. Just from experience running my own in my room.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by WallShadow on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 am
([msg=71563]see Re: beginner sandbox[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Really, a low power vm running something lightweight or even just a simple ubuntu server is good enough for webgoat. Having a full box running may be kinda cool but it can be loud, warm, and takes up space. Just from experience running my own in my room.

Right, but where is the fun in that? Honestly I do need experience with hardware and not VMs. Thanks for the offer though.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to General