Windows Vista Boot Password

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Re: Windows Vista Boot Password

Post by limdis on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:26 pm
([msg=71309]see Re: Windows Vista Boot Password[/msg])

While we look into this, take the cmos battery out again. Leave it out for about 45 min.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Blog: View Blog (0)

Post by Amazingred on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:28 pm
([msg=71311]see Re: Windows Vista Boot Password[/msg])

Try pressing 0 right after you turn it on but before the password screen hits. Then try the boot cd.

This is a longshot as well but remove memory as well whenever you are going to remove the cmos battery and look for a small W shaped are under where the memory was. (BE SURE THE BATTERY AND POWER PLUG IS OUT) If you find the w short it against the bottom of the laptop case for a moment.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:13 pm
([msg=71331]see Re: Windows Vista Boot Password[/msg])

Sucks, some laptops (mainly anything that pretends to be for "professional" use) store that password on a separate chip that won't forget it after removing cmos battery. I think if you find its manual it'll mention that you need to bring it in for support if you forget the password. At which point you have to prove its yours and not stolen (apparently this is some sort of theft deterrent.) Not sure if theres some super secret backdoor to it or if they physically solder off that chip and put a new one in in their support centers. Not to mention that its not covered by warranty so they'll charge for it too..
If you're lucky you'll find some kind of backdoor procedure to remove the password. I had an old laptop lying around with a similar problem and had no luck finding anything useful except for help on soldering...

google tells me(actualy, a shitty site that requires registration found on google tells me..)
Default password on toshiba is Toshiba (case sensitive!)
then again it also mentions "Laptops typically have better BIOS security than desktop systems, and we are not aware of any backdoor passwords that will work with name brand laptops." dafuq?

It also sais "Most Toshiba laptops and some desktop systems will bypass the BIOS password if the left shift key is held down during boot " You'd be super lucky if that actually worked.

It also mentions some silly software that you can't run since you can't boot other things and other silly things like "pressing escape over a 100 times in rapid succession.
Full article here: http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarg ... -Passwords
username: bugme@not.com
password: bugmenot

There is also http://www.tech-faq.com/reset-bios-password.html that mentions some of the same stuff but doesn't look like it was written to collect money.

some sites mention shorting some specific pads located under the ram somewhere.

Good luck, I hope you find a way around it.

EDIT: I just now realized Amazingred said exactly the same thing about shorting some pads.. no more forums for me past 3am!
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to General