My friend asked me for ddos software

General technological topics without their own forum go here

My friend asked me for ddos software

Post by hellow533 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:54 am
([msg=70279]see My friend asked me for ddos software[/msg])

I had the hardest facepalm today, one that nearly fractured my skull..

Not really but you know what I mean. Anyways, he asked me for software that would do a denial of service if he has the IP address. I asked what this was for and he said for an online game for when he is fighting for money. Holding back from punching him, I told him how a denial of service is illegal and he could get caught, go to jail, get fined, etc. He didn't care and got pissed when I refused to give him anything of the sort. Who uses software to do a denial of service attack anyways? Can't most routers ping, as well as oh I don't know, your CMD?
*edit*
And if you don't yet know why I got pissed, it's because this is like the 40th time somebody has asked me to do something illegal for them, or give them software to do illegal things.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: My friend asked me for ddos software

Post by WallShadow on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:47 am
([msg=70280]see Re: My friend asked me for ddos software[/msg])

Hmm, what if it was your close friend that asked it? Would you still turn him down?

Also, on the topic of ways to DDoS, wouldn't you need a specialized program to SYN flood something?

Btw, anyone know the DDoS method that the LOIC uses?

And now just a theory; even though SYN flooding is pretty effective, would it be possible to flood a target by sending SYN packets and right after that, send a ACK packet with a guessed acknowledgement number (to allow anonymous sending of packets)? Or would the connections expire even faster than with simply SYN flooding? Or would the number of successful guesses be so low that it makes it simply impractical?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Re: My friend asked me for ddos software

Post by hellow533 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:17 pm
([msg=70287]see Re: My friend asked me for ddos software[/msg])

I would turn him down quicker if he was a close friend. I don't let close friends do stupid shit..

LOIC ddoses by spamming the target with TCP packets or UDP packets from multiple addresses or servers at once I believe.
"A well-written firewall rules can filter out most traffic from DDoS attacks by LOIC, thus preventing the attacks from being fully effective" -LOIC wiki

As for your theory, try it out on a test machine. No question is better answered than trying it out yourself.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Return to General