This Website

General technological topics without their own forum go here

This Website

Post by Mro613 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:21 pm
([msg=69577]see This Website[/msg])

Hello, I'm new to this website and all, and I've already read the guide for when I first registered to this site. It said that this is a "training ground for hackers." As they put it, this website is meant for teaching people how to hack. If that's the case, then why when I made an earlier post (asking for someone to teach me how to hack my own account on a points site), I receive two responses; one of them saying:
Disclaimer :
HackThisSite does not support illegal activities.

Not only that, but my post was then locked by a mod, so I couldn't make a reply. I registered here in the first place so I could learn how to hack. But if these mods are saying that this site doesn't support hacking, then what exactly is this site for? And why did HTS's guide say other-wise?
Mro613
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: This Website

Post by weekend hacker on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:53 pm
([msg=69578]see Re: This Website[/msg])

This site will try to teach you about security and offers you "missions" so you can try out things without doing anything illegal.
You do not own those sites you mentioned so hacking them would be considered "illegal activity". Since HTS cannot affort to have its servers taken by overzealous FBI agents every month, we don't support this kind of stuff.

Now if there's a specific technique you don't quite understand and need more info about, or maybe need help getting started, want to discuss security or maybe even want your own website pen-tested then this is the place for you.
Other then that you can start doing the missions which will introduce you to some very common techniques and will mainly teach you how to learn about security along with some of the ethics often associated with it.
More info on all that can be found here: https://www.hackthissite.org/pages/info/guide/

But remember, hacking is about knowledge. Knowledge we'll try to give you but asking "how do I hack <fill in blank>" is not something you'll get a positive reply to. More then that, in a lot of cases its grounds for getting trolled or banned(thank god forum mods are such nice people, my irc mods would not be so tolerant).

Obviously we can't control what people do outside of HTS, and we wouldn't even try. But we ask of you that anything you post on our servers is legal. (as described here: https://www.hackthissite.org/pages/info/legal/)

Welcome to hackthissite, I hope you don't let the hacker stereotypes put you off and that you learn a great deal.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mookalovesgloop on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:17 pm
([msg=69579]see Re: This Website[/msg])

peace...

even though you're supposedly seeking information on hacking your own profile, if the website in question isn't yours, hacking it is STILL considered illegal...also, in my short time as a member here i've noticed that most "how do i...?" questions are not received very warmly...i would suggest self-teaching and researching what it is you're looking to accomplish and posting here for pointers on SPECIFIC areas where you run into snags....also there is a certain art to asking a question without asking the *actual* question...i'm kind of notorious for being a bit slow on the uptake but the mods here DEFINITELY aren't...

that being said, that doesn't mean you should try to BS the good brothers and sisters in the HTS community (reread last sentence of my last paragraph) or insult anyone's intelligence with long drawn out stories/insults which ultimately don't accomplish anything and will only result in your ridicule/being banned from the site....

i know i'm probably overstepping my boundaries as a known n00b on the boards by responding here like this, but i saw your original thread, see this one, and based on what i've read in certain sections of the boards (see: LULZ section) have reason to believe that if your line of questioning continues in the same manner, you'll find your posts languishing in the dead thread section faster than [insert witty cyber-oriented reference here].

anyway, HTS is really a great place for help/pointers especially for n00bs like myself...there's just a [right] way of doing things...and nobody wants to go to jail...right?

peace and blessings!
mooka

oh wow, i typed this response ages ago and forgot to submit....i didn't mean to be redundant or anything...but what weekend hacker said
gloop!
mookalovesgloop
Poster
Poster

Post by Mro613 on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:20 pm
([msg=69580]see Re: This Website[/msg])

But remember, hacking is about knowledge. Knowledge we'll try to give you but asking "how do I hack <fill in blank>" is not something you'll get a positive reply to. More then that, in a lot of cases its grounds for getting trolled or banned

Ah I see, thank you for clearing things up. By the guide alone I had the wrong idea of how things worked on this site. Thanks weekend hacker :)
Mro613
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 pm
([msg=69588]see Re: This Website[/msg])

Mro613 wrote:Hello, I'm new to this website and all, and I've already read the guide for when I first registered to this site. It said that this is a "training ground for hackers." As they put it, this website is meant for teaching people how to hack. If that's the case, then why when I made an earlier post (asking for someone to teach me how to hack my own account on a points site), I receive two responses; one of them saying:
Disclaimer :
HackThisSite does not support illegal activities.

Not only that, but my post was then locked by a mod, so I couldn't make a reply. I registered here in the first place so I could learn how to hack. But if these mods are saying that this site doesn't support hacking, then what exactly is this site for? And why did HTS's guide say other-wise?

Please research on google, there are many different aspects of hacking:

"Black Hat Hacking" aka malicious hacking, hacks for evil and self gain such as stealing credit cards, defacing sites, etc

"White Hat Hacking" aka ethical hacking, hacks for good such as finding exploits and fixing them and telling admins.

"Gray Hat Hacking" aka a combination of Black and White Hat Hacking, as this one explains it is a user that hacks for good and evil.

Hackthissite teaches people how to hack from a ethical hacking perspective.
Asking someone to hack your own account on another website is still considered malicious, as you do not have the authorization from the admin to hack their website, and you are using it for your own personal gain.

As said before, Hackthissite does not support any type of black hat hacking.

If you wish to do this, remain quite about your intentions, stick around the site and over time you will learn.
We will not help you accomplish this however, you can take the time and learn and do this on your own.
We will not support you.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General