128 bit OS

General technological topics without their own forum go here

128 bit OS

Post by skcuf on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:39 pm
([msg=69354]see 128 bit OS[/msg])

I was talking to a few guys the other night and a few of them were telling me that a 128 bit OS that existed. They were saying that Windows 7 professional premium is an example of this. It is supposedly used on servers because of the extreme amount of power they are using. Can anyone clarify this one way or the other?
skcuf
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: 128 bit OS

Post by centip3de on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 pm
([msg=69355]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

skcuf wrote:I was talking to a few guys the other night and a few of them were telling me that a 128 bit OS that existed. They were saying that Windows 7 professional premium is an example of this. It is supposedly used on servers because of the extreme amount of power they are using. Can anyone clarify this one way or the other?

First off, I'd like to see a 128 bit processor, without that, you can't have a 128 bit OS. Second, there is no OS titled "Windows 7 Professional Premium". I think your friends were trolling you, mate.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 am
([msg=69358]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

skcuf wrote:I was talking to a few guys the other night and a few of them were telling me that a 128 bit OS that existed. They were saying that Windows 7 professional premium is an example of this. It is supposedly used on servers because of the extreme amount of power they are using. Can anyone clarify this one way or the other?

Maybe you have it mixed up with Windows 8? Just did a quick google search and there was mention of Windows 8 being 128-bit.

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-to-debut-128-bit-os-version-0759562/
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by skcuf on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 am
([msg=69359]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

Yeah I just wanted to clarify that I was right to tell him he was wrong :). I think he honestly believes what he says to be true. He was saying how he's going to school for hardware and software engineering lol. Maybe he made his own ;).

He also said that you can't hack windows using Linux...or something like that. I just took everything he said to be wrong after the OS comment.
I am criticized by people every day for being too honest. I say what you think.
skcuf
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:46 pm
([msg=69363]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

LoGiCaL__ wrote:Maybe you have it mixed up with Windows 8? Just did a quick google search and there was mention of Windows 8 being 128-bit.

http://www.slashgear.com/windows-8-to-debut-128-bit-os-version-0759562/

Sure, but the closest we've been to the creation of a 128 bit processor is was that the designs were drawn up.. In 1999. Once I see the 128 bit processor, I'll believe that they have an OS to back it up.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by NoviceBlackout on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:52 am
([msg=69387]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

centip3de wrote:Sure, but the closest we've been to the creation of a 128 bit processor is was that the designs were drawn up.. In 1999. Once I see the 128 bit processor, I'll believe that they have an OS to back it up.

I may be being stupid here, but why can't they make a 128bit processor? Would it be cost of they just can't get it right?
NoviceBlackout
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:58 pm
([msg=69390]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

NoviceBlackout wrote:I may be being stupid here, but why can't they make a 128bit processor? Would it be cost of they just can't get it right?

Read this, it shall enlighten you:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29817 ... mshardware
centip3de

Post by weekend hacker on Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:59 pm
([msg=69393]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

I should probably point out that CPU used by the PS3 has some 128bit registers and there are other cpu's with similar features (though I can't say what they'd possibly be used for) most of these can't actually do 128bit operations though, and use these registers to hold smaller values like 4 32bit ones.
also some quotes about the original xbox:
Code: Select all
64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; in dual-channel 128-bit configuration giving 6400 MB/s

and from the xbox360:
The console features 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz with an effective transmission rate of 1.4 GHz on a 128-bit bus. The memory is shared by the CPU and the GPU via the unified memory architecture. This memory is produced by either Samsung or Qimonda.

main to to take from this is that although there are 128bit registers, and a 128bit memory bus, and all kinds of 128bit magic.. there is no cpu with a 128bit instruction set and frankly... I wouldn't know what to do with that many instructions.
so although microsoft has experience with some 128bit things, what does a 128bit OS actually mean? which parts of the cpu are 128bit and what does that change? I don't think we really need much more memory addresses.. so increasing that would be kinda pointless.. on the other hand getting twice as much data for each read/write would double the speed without increasing the clock speed(note the difference between the address bus and data bus). And larger registers could possibly be useful for floats.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a 128bit machine, especially not a desktop. Servers or game consoles seem most likely to take this step but I can't really see a reason why they'd bother.
<Yoda> if someone says something i don't like, i ban him, ban whoever defends him, and then ban the witnesses...
weekend hacker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by centip3de on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:36 pm
([msg=69396]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

weekend hacker wrote:I should probably point out that CPU used by the PS3 has some 128bit registers and there are other cpu's with similar features (though I can't say what they'd possibly be used for) most of these can't actually do 128bit operations though, and use these registers to hold smaller values like 4 32bit ones.
also some quotes about the original xbox:
64 MB DDR SDRAM at 200 MHz; in dual-channel 128-bit configuration giving 6400 MB/s

and from the xbox360:
The console features 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz with an effective transmission rate of 1.4 GHz on a 128-bit bus. The memory is shared by the CPU and the GPU via the unified memory architecture. This memory is produced by either Samsung or Qimonda.

main to to take from this is that although there are 128bit registers, and a 128bit memory bus, and all kinds of 128bit magic.. there is no cpu with a 128bit instruction set and frankly... I wouldn't know what to do with that many instructions.
so although microsoft has experience with some 128bit things, what does a 128bit OS actually mean? which parts of the cpu are 128bit and what does that change? I don't think we really need much more memory addresses.. so increasing that would be kinda pointless.. on the other hand getting twice as much data for each read/write would double the speed without increasing the clock speed(note the difference between the address bus and data bus). And larger registers could possibly be useful for floats.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a 128bit machine, especially not a desktop. Servers or game consoles seem most likely to take this step but I can't really see a reason why they'd bother.

Huh, I actually didn't know that. Neat.

Also, I seem to recall a few years back owning a computer that had 20 GB of memory on it, and thinking that was complete and utter overkill, yet here I am with a HDD that has 318 GB in use...
centip3de

Post by XRahat2011 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 am
([msg=69438]see Re: 128 bit OS[/msg])

My Opinion:
They are just some losers that heard it & started spreading it without any reason (possibly because of there this shi*t habit to spread without reason!) & if you claim "NO", believe me they will have a 1000 reasons to make you believe that yes 128-bit OS does exists! LOL! But I do have read somewhere on internet that AMD is working on 128-bit processors, I tell you the fun side? 32-bit processors could only support 4 GIGS RAM max but 64-bit can support up-to 16 BILLION GIGS RAM :O ! More Bit's only real benefit is the ability to address additional memory (where in my opinion ability to address 64 billion gigs by a small CPU that can fit in my hand is really a revolution xD). If still 16 BILLION GIGS RAM is not enough for you well then the way to go will be 128-bits, hah! But the bad news is that the max for 64-bit will be 8 cores or in near future possibly 16 cores in one CPU max, but 128-bit might be holding more than 16 cores (if 64-bit comes up with 16 cores before 128-bit processor's launch xD)! This will force people with CPU that has 16 cores (possibly 64-bit) to move to 128-bits even if they don't want because the work on 64-bits will almost be stopped or might be very slow & the world wants more power of CPU & hence they will be forced to move to 128-bits CPU! Now, I read windows 8 might me coming up with 128-bit version but I believe "NO!", when windows 8 will release most chances are that 128-bit processors might not be released at that time & hence I think windows 9 might have a change but (in my opinion) "NO CHANCES FOR WINDOWS 8" :P!

(Sorry for poor English, my creative writing is sh*t, LOL!)

I think if that's not enough then google is a source where you can spend your whole life on searching only on this topic :) ! LOL!
My Quote: What Goes UP, Must Come DOWN!
My Signature: Eat Dust!
XRahat2011
New User
New User

Return to General