How did you start out?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

How did you start out?

Post by Sl1ck_x on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 pm
([msg=68977]see How did you start out?[/msg])

I recently joined this site about a few weeks ago and have accomplished quite a bit in a small time frame. I managed to complete all the basics in a week and then most of the realistic's up to 14 (Yuppers). I hit a wall with this mission, and decided I was going to take some time off to teach myself some of the programming languages. I've noticed that I can read the source codes very well but I have a hard time trying to write any code myself. So, I found python classes from google on youtube, and have been following their lessons for the past week. I enjoy writing code and watching how it all works, but I think the lectures are a bit easy? (I can't think of a better word)

For example, one piece of homework they had was to take a list of words and take the first character of the word, and replace it with another first character from a word in a seperate list, then return the results. I managed to solve this problem but I think I could be learning things that are more relevant to real world code..

How did you start out learning to code? Did you go to your library and rent books on different languages? or Did you take college course? or Were you following youtube tutorials like I am?

The reason I'm asking is because I start class in a few days and I'm thinking about changing majors, but not this semester. My game plan right now is to take my engineering courses this semester, while actively learning how to code in python on the side. I want to perform a kind of 'test' run on computer science before I actually make the commitment and switch.

I'm just curious as to what's the fastest and most time efficient way of learning a language?

p.s. Sorry for the rambling.
Sl1ck_x
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: How did you start out?

Post by 0phidian on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:18 pm
([msg=68982]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

I like to learn things from as many different resources as possible, mostly books and online sources, to develop a better understanding of things.
0phidian
Poster
Poster

Post by notacylon on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:11 pm
([msg=69340]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

My main motivation has always been being able to code up games (almost) from scratch. I started out by toying briefly with BYOND software, and am now moving on to Java with the help of a couple of university courses I took. I get most of my learning done by experimentation and random online searches.

The best way to learn for me has been to pick a project I'd actually get some use out of, and study everything it requires step-by-step. My current goal is to code up a basic multiplayer game in Java, so I had to learn the language basics followed by user input, basic GUI, and game engine logic, Atm I have a basic grasp of these things, but am struggling to get a simple chat client up-and-running :P

If you thrive in a classroom environment, definitely take advantage of the CS courses at your Uni.

(I realize I may have necro'd a thread, but I think that it merits more responses; I'd be curious to know how more of the regulars here started out, too)
notacylon
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:36 pm
([msg=69342]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

Necro's like this are alright since they are open-ended in nature. But this has been posted a few times in the past. I suggest searching them out. There are some interesting stories hidden away in these forums lol
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by XRahat2011 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am
([msg=69878]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

I started out on this forum by stupid things, then somehow I read that I will need to learn WEB LANGUAGES! They blocked me, then I learned some manners & all those WEB LANGUAGES! Then now I re-sign-up this website again & then started doing challenges, I am still not a hacker but I am proud that I have info on computer, I am like "a jack of all trades, and a master of none" but I still love increasing my knowledge :) !
Last edited by XRahat2011 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Quote: What Goes UP, Must Come DOWN!
My Signature: Eat Dust!
XRahat2011
New User
New User

Post by tuxtheevilpenguin on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:23 am
([msg=69883]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

As far as hacking and internet security goes I started here. I've learned alot from this site and want to learn more. I'm glad sites like this exist and allow me (and others) the chance to try things out without breaking any laws.
tuxtheevilpenguin
New User
New User

Post by deathwillcome800 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:48 pm
([msg=70214]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

I started off as a script-kiddy realizing that this is really awesome, than i got really fascinated with what you can do/create with code so i started to learning it. my first was ECHO and it was really easy to learn but not that much i could do with it. So i switched to Q-basic which im still learning it . So yea it shows you that its not all fun and games it takes a lot of hard work to do something really good *note never give up* =^.^=
Dont dis the noobs you where 1 of them before
deathwillcome800
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Slashbreak on Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am
([msg=70233]see Re: How did you start out?[/msg])

With sites like this, coupled with general tinkering on my boxes. Find something you can play with, and read up on at the same time. The method of playing whilst reading new things seems to work well together
Slashbreak
New User
New User

Return to General