What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:34 am
([msg=67917]see What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

My dilemna: I run a pretty big Minecraft server. We banned a kid for using "Nodus" the hackforums skiddie minecraft client. Said kid gets majorly butthurt over it. It seems his goal in life is now to be a constant nuisance for my server.

What he's doing: Using multiple alternate game accounts (hacked) to avoid bans under different names. Using proxies to avoid IP bans. When he gets on he basically just rants in chat about "SKULLFUCKING MY NIGGER COCK SUCKING FAGGOT ASS". You know, fun stuff like that.

What I've done: I have antispam, anticaps and antiswear plugins to mitigate some of the damage but these things are all limited in their scope of effectiveness. I use DNSBL to block known public proxies to an extent, but even a halfwit skiddie can get mo' proxies. I use iptables on my server to basically drop any traffic associated with this punker. But he keeps a' comin'.

So- Finally I doxed him. E-mailed his mother.. well she's a dumb bitch, basically told me to piss off, and that her son can do what he wants online.

Now i'm left wondering, what can I do now--- that won't get me in trouble too.. because the old me would have done some things but.. i'm not too fond of jail anymore. Is there legal recourse against a game server hacker/spammer?

Discuss!
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?

Post by limdis on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am
([msg=67920]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

Ah some fun! Sucks you have this little problem. But I has an idea. Being that you already doxed him you need to give him a little something else to focus on for awhile. I say post some of his contact info on /b/ say a little back story about how he done something horrible, then wait. lol
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:43 am
([msg=67921]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

Two things:

1. Can't law enforcement do something about this? Maybe send the kid to juvi or something.

2. simply install a program that kills the Minecraft.exe process (or a similar process) every time he starts it.
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ghost107 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:04 am
([msg=67923]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

Didn't play minecraft, Isn't an open souce game?

If it is an open source game you could customize your client(to write a something in the registry, or somewhere on hard drive, for the blacklisted people), so when he tries to login the second time with another account to not let him login, or close application.

Since his a script kiddy he would what will happen.

Googled a little and found this:
You could use Minecraft Coder Pack to modify(but I think first you need to notify Mojang if its ok or not)
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Coder_Pack
ghost107
Poster
Poster

Post by tremor77 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm
([msg=67925]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:1. Can't law enforcement do something about this? Maybe send the kid to juvi or something.

I guess that's where I'm going with this. I've done some research and I really can't find any legal grounds covering something like this. If it were say, WoW or Diablo 3 - what not... The players play on the client, and the servers of the company, agree to a ToS, etc.. and they can remove the account, and take other action because they have the resources to do so. Botters and spammers happen but they just have an element of internal control to take care of it.

Something, like like Minecraft is different altogether, it's like a Quake server - it's public, basically free (considering the 10's of thousands of hacked accounts nearly publicly available).. spamming profanity on a game server doesn't seem like that might be something covered under a law anywhere lol. I suppose I could link him to the use of hacked accounts, but i'm sure that in the grand scheme of things no one cares about a pipsqueak who got his hands on a couple dozen hacked accounts from hackforums... but rather the guy on hackforums distributing thousands of them.

For now I guess I play prevent, just have so much better things to do with my time than review server logs and setup iptables.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm
([msg=67926]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

ghost107 wrote:Googled a little and found this:
You could use Minecraft Coder Pack to modify(but I think first you need to notify Mojang if its ok or not)
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Minecraft_Coder_Pack

A couple of things I know:

1. Minecraft is not open-source, modifications are only available because Notch (The Creator) supports the creativity and diversity.

2. Minecraft Coder Pack could work, but you'd need to upload your modded client to his computer, and you'd need to rework it every time an update happened because all the files will get reset. Btw, you don't need permission from Mojang, I know 'cause I've used it before.

3. What else could work is editing his host file to never allow access to the minecraft authentication servers. No authentication means no multiplayer access, no matter what account he uses, or what update he gets.

-WallShadow <3
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:23 pm
([msg=67929]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

Wallshadow.. You say all of these things like it's just ridiculously easy and perfectly legal for tremor to gain admin access to his computer to fuck it up. Obviously neither one of those things are true, so I doubt he'll be going with those ideas. As for my advice, I'd prolly roll with the doxing. Dig up some shizz on him, post it to the board under a different nick. Let him freak out. And if he keeps coming back, keep it coming. As for authorities, idunno how well that whole process would be.. Since he's fucking around your shit, maybe you should fuck around his shit.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by WallShadow on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:28 pm
([msg=67930]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

Ok mShred, but you also have to consider the fact that there are already dozens of anti-cyber bullying laws. if Tremor fucks up one thing and is tracked by the police after he 'anonymously' posts the kid's info on /b/, then he's in for a real shitstorm.

-edit

Also, doesn't the term to dox imply that Tremor has illegally gained access to the kids computer?
WallShadow
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mShred on Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:34 pm
([msg=67931]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Ok mShred, but you also have to consider the fact that there are already dozens of anti-cyber bullying laws. if Tremor fucks up one thing and is tracked by the police after he 'anonymously' posts the kid's info on /b/, then he's in for a real shitstorm.

So rather than going with the bullying laws that hardly anyone takes serious, including the victim in this case, you go with getting strictly illegal access to his computer? Which is something that proposes zero tolerance. The spammer would be considered a bully as well, so an eye for an eye would be a lot more appealing approach. And besides, if he posts it as a different user, then no one will know, or care, considering he runs the site.

Edit for above edit:

No.

For those about to rock.
mShred
Administrator
Administrator

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by limdis on Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:03 pm
([msg=67939]see Re: What recourse is there against a little skiddy beotch?[/msg])

WallShadow wrote:Also, doesn't the term to dox imply that Tremor has illegally gained access to the kids computer?

I was kidding around about the /b/ posting. I know tremor knows better than to do something like that ;)
But to answer your question, no. Doxing can be 100% legal if you don't take it too far. In this case I assume he found publicly listed information that the kid has posted on the internet himself and collaborated it all. It can be a very effective technique for setting up future attacks if you wish to do so but it's not required in most cases to get enough info on someone to scare them a little.

I've got a friend that hosts a couple minecraft servers. I'll talk to him later on tonight to see what he suggests.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Next

Return to General