DVD RIP

General technological topics without their own forum go here

DVD RIP

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:29 am
([msg=65358]see DVD RIP[/msg])

I want to back up my DVD's on to a hard. I found a website about them http://lifehacker.com/380702/five-best-dvd-ripping-tools. But, I thought I'd give HTS something to comment on, so any thoughts as to what I should use?
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: DVD RIP

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:06 am
([msg=65360]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

I would start off by thinking about where/how I'm going to store the data and then how I'm either going to play or transfer the data. If you have the option to do what ever then it is at your disposal. If not, then you will have to deal with what is feasible

Just don't sell them once you clone them.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by anarchy420x on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:35 am
([msg=65363]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

I have a couple hard drives. I'd like to use as little space as possible.
A broken clock is right twice a day, however, I am neither up that early nor up that late...
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:01 am
([msg=65367]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

The first app off your link displayed it could compress 8gb to 4gb. If that was a constant across the board(cutting size in half) you should research that and then compare.
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:18 am
([msg=65371]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

Compressing 8gb to 4gb means it will be reducing the quality. Once you get a RIP of your DVD you should be able to compress it to whatever size and format you want. Ie. .mkv, .avi, etc...

Also depends what platform you are on. HandBrake is a solid piece of software IMO.
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by LoGiCaL__ on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:20 am
([msg=65372]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Compressing 8gb to 4gb means it will be reducing the quality. Once you get a RIP of your DVD you should be able to compress it to whatever size and format you want. Ie. .mkv, .avi, etc...
Any one better at preserving quality?
LoGiCaL__
Addict
Addict

Post by fashizzlepop on Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:39 am
([msg=65374]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

Preserving quality depends on what you encode it as. If you rip it as an ISO that's full size you'll keep the quality. That'd be closest to lossless. Assuming you don't mind a little bit of degradation then you can encode it in a high quality format such as .mkv. Each format will have more options you can choose to fine tune the compression rate, etc...
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by centip3de on Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:37 pm
([msg=65383]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

fashizzlepop wrote:Compressing 8gb to 4gb means it will be reducing the quality. Once you get a RIP of your DVD you should be able to compress it to whatever size and format you want. Ie. .mkv, .avi, etc...

Also depends what platform you are on. HandBrake is a solid piece of software IMO.

Quality != Size.

If I have an 3gb movie, I could compress that to 2.5gb without any real reduction in quality. Though, I will agree with you that cutting it in half like that, will result in a dramatic loss in quality.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by anarchy420x on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:58 am
([msg=65396]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

Im not terribly worried about the cut in quality, 8gb is far to big, 4 and under is dealable.
anarchy420x
Poster
Poster

Post by QtDevl on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:18 am
([msg=65397]see Re: DVD RIP[/msg])

The most important choice you must do is not the program itself to rip,but the encoder to use imho
As with a decent encoder you preserve quality while saving space.Now as we are talking about dvds there are a lot of choices.Divx offers decent encoding,but they have constains on where you can play them (eg. only divx players),and you must buy pro to be able to remove constraints,so i dunno if that is an option.Otherwise the best you could use is an H.264/mpeg-4 encoder,like x264 http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html.
Also as a side note,ripping a dvd takes something along 10 minutes,encoding takes almost 2 hours
If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom...
QtDevl
New User
New User

Next

Return to General