Best Method of Compression

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Best Method of Compression

Post by cyber-maniac on Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:17 pm
([msg=61324]see Best Method of Compression[/msg])

I am using 7zip and trying to find the best method of compression to no avail, i can't seem to be able to compress it to a decent amount.

My question is, what are the best settings for compression using 7zip regardless of speed? I want to compress it for the smallest amount of disk space.
cyber-maniac
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Best Method of Compression

Post by tremor77 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:43 am
([msg=61331]see Re: Best Method of Compression[/msg])

Probably your best bet, mayhaps not the fullest extent of compress but widely used and accepted is the .tgz format or .tar.gz as it more oftenly comes packaged in. Not being a compression expert at all - but I believe this is a double compression method, where the files are first zipped using a tarball .tar method, then zipped again using gzip compression.

In windows using 7zip or stuffit, to unpack these files you usually unpack that .tar.gz to a .tar, then unzip a second time to get the actual files.

-- corrections accepted, I'm just spouting off here on a topic i'm fairly unfamiliar with.
tremor77
Addict
Addict

Re: Best Method of Compression

Post by acevic on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 am
([msg=61332]see Re: Best Method of Compression[/msg])

Check this out. Also this. If you are looking for a ridiculous compression ratio, KGB is your best bet. I'd like to warn you though, KGB is unstable and resource intensive. The main site is down atm but save the URL for a visit later.

I have even heard (unverified) stories of a 10:1 compression ratio. Be sure to check it out.

Have fun!
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me
for.
acevic
Poster
Poster

Return to General