Windows 7 users, help me out....

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Windows 7 users, help me out....

Post by edone automaton on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:12 pm
([msg=61176]see Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

Hey, I was given a laptop that had vista on it and thought I would upgrade to 7 to see what it was like. I know very little about windows but as you know, its not hard to do and everything went smoothly. Sort of.
On checking the hard drive properties I saw that over 100GB of the available 139 were used, I had a look and saw that there were two folders on there called windows old and windows old.0000 or something similar, I chose to do a full clean install and so wasn't expecting anything of that nature but whatever, I deleted them and regained around 60GB. This leaves me with a disk that is showing 39GB of used disk space on a supposedly clean install. Seems somewhat excessive.

Any ideas where my disc space has gone?

What I have done:
Made all folders and drives visible in control panel, (the hidden folders only account for about 2GB max).
Here are the folders now showing on C:

$AVG, HP, MSOCache, Perflogs, Programme files, Programme Data, SWSetup,
System.sav, Users, Windows IPH.PH

Does this seem normal? The AVG thing seems to be a vault from a previous installation of the antivirus, so I'm thinking there could be some other artifacts lurking around.

One other thing (as columbo once said), on installing, at the point where you are asked to choose the place to install, a 9GB partition showed up but when I tried to delete it the options were greyed out, so this may account for 9gig?

Sorry for being long winded, I'm just trying to give you as clear a picture as possible. Thanks in advance, ed.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:37 pm
([msg=61183]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

Skimmed. Check all of your partitions to see if there are any things just taking up space. I know Vista has two drives. C and D. D is for backups. Go ahead and delete everything. If you want, you could just run an install to use the entire disk. That way you're deleting all unused partitions and whatnot. Sorry for the short reply.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by Prince Of The Elite on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:08 pm
([msg=61208]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

I'm not experienced enough to give you a solution, but anyway, there're two ways (I think so) to view for real what is there on your HDD :
1- Unhide every file on it. That includes files with "system" attributes which window hide even if you check "show hidden files or folders". That can be done using a command prompt but takes much time and a silly idea because the true system files won't be well protected.
2- Why not use another operating system ?? There are many os which boot from a CD. They are usualy made to use some utilities, repartition you pc, disk difragment, etc... But they'll let you see all files on pc and then you can find out what's consuming your space. Can't suggest you one though, sorry. But it should be easy to find one. Maybe someone can suggest you a name, or maybe another solution.
~~ ""Getting information off the internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant"" ~~

Prince Of The Elite
New User
New User

Post by jgreen45 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm
([msg=61231]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

edone automaton wrote:One other thing (as columbo once said), on installing, at the point where you are asked to choose the place to install, a 9GB partition showed up but when I tried to delete it the options were greyed out, so this may account for 9gig?

This may be a backup partition that contains a copy of all your computers drivers, so you don't need a restoration CD. You can check this by looking at boot for some keys to press, but if nothing shows up just keyboard mash all the likely ones (ESC, f1, f12 tc...) If all goes well then you can enter the backup partition thus confirming its existence :P.
I can't come to bed...
Someone is WRONG on the internet

http://xkcd.com/386/
jgreen45
Poster
Poster

Post by VPR3 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:14 pm
([msg=61308]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

I know enough about windows 7 to know its crap (In my opinon) and file manipulation mechanisms are garbage.
If the menus aren't working try using DISKPART in the command line. Something else that comes to mind is you could have hidden partitions or unallocated space on your hard disk. Try the disk partition tool made by EaseUse, you can format all your drives recover unallocated space and get rid of uneeded partitions in like 5 seconds literally.
VPR3
Poster
Poster

Post by fashizzlepop on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:21 am
([msg=61312]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

I'm going to say Most likely it's the backup partition either Vista or 7 created. If you delete that (9gb approx?) You should be left with 30gb being used. That sounds a lot more reasonable. I think the requirements for Win 7 is a 40 gb HD which leaves only a bit of room for personal storage. Given you have a 130gb HD you should be good and shouldn't need to worry. If you can Easily fill that up I'd definitely suggest an external HD.

Yes Windows has it's flaws but 7 is a pretty solid OS. Granted, I love Linux too but for someone with this simple of a question I would not suggest them tossing their Windows for Linux just yet.

As for how to delete that partition, a live CD of Linux (Ubuntu would be best I'd guess) will allow you to boot up from CD and with out damaging anything else allow you to use Gparted and delete that backup partition. This shouldn't mess with your normal boot since it isn't booting that backup partition anyways.

Hope this helps. :)
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by edone automaton on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am
([msg=61316]see Re: Windows 7 users, help me out....[/msg])

Thanks for the help everyone, I haven't owned a windows computer since windows 98 was out so I was very unfamiliar with its files and whatnot. The reason I put it on the laptop was so that I can learn about it and not worry about fucking everything up! so I'll be looking into some command line stuff one I get a general feel for things, tbh, its just one project out of many at the minute....
Thanks again.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
-Bruce Lee
edone automaton
Poster
Poster

Return to General