Newbie Hacker

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Newbie Hacker

Post by EvilGenius72 on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm
([msg=60775]see Newbie Hacker[/msg])

I'm not new to the internet and I'm very familiar with HTML, website design, and other basic computer stuff. I'm pretty handy with minor computer maintenance and stuff like getting rid of viruses. I also know how to create .bat and .cmd files, convert them to .exe files and run basic commands in a Command Prompt window. However, I'm pretty new to this whole hacking thing and while I've done okay with the challenges, I'm interested in becoming proficient with the art of hacking and using the tools of the trade. I'd like to begin studying to gain familiarity with how to hack, but there are SO MANY different areas it almost seems overwhelming where to begin. Could someone provide me with a ladder approach to study? What to study first, then where to go next and so on? I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read a ton of material on hacking, but much of it is pure bullshit and most of it incomprehensible. I need a ladder approach, where one thing provides a foundation to better understand the next. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Newbie Hacker

Post by mShred on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:43 pm
([msg=60776]see Re: Newbie Hacker[/msg])

Well what exactly are you interested in? To start off, I'd say do the missions. It's a great way to get started.
But as for separate things to learn, programming is always a good thing to pick up. There's a good amount of languages, but you could start off with something like Python or Perl. Another thing, Linux is commonly used by 'hackers'. Pick up a distro. Ubuntu is pretty user/beginner-friendly. But of course, as with anything, after you get something down, feel free to keep researching, keep learning. After you get a hand in Ubuntu, look up Slackware, or maybe Arch Linux. After you feel you know a good amount of Python, look into C.
But do the missions, they're good for making you look into things you've probably never thought of. They'll make you look at things differently. And they'll force you to research and Google shit that your parents have never heard of. And after that your curiosity takes off.
mShred
Addict
Addict

Blog: View Blog (2)

Post by centip3de on Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:15 am
([msg=60789]see Re: Newbie Hacker[/msg])

mShred wrote:Well what exactly are you interested in? To start off, I'd say do the missions. It's a great way to get started.
But as for separate things to learn, programming is always a good thing to pick up. There's a good amount of languages, but you could start off with something like Python or Perl. Another thing, Linux is commonly used by 'hackers'. Pick up a distro. Ubuntu is pretty user/beginner-friendly. But of course, as with anything, after you get something down, feel free to keep researching, keep learning. After you get a hand in Ubuntu, look up Slackware, or maybe Arch Linux. After you feel you know a good amount of Python, look into C.
But do the missions, they're good for making you look into things you've probably never thought of. They'll make you look at things differently. And they'll force you to research and Google shit that your parents have never heard of. And after that your curiosity takes off.

^ This.

But also, just because there are so many disciplines of hacking, doesn't mean you have to learn them all. For instance; I'm decent in 'Web Hacking', but I'm pretty damn good at reverse-engineering (and all that entails). It really is just a matter of what you like.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by EvilGenius72 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:33 am
([msg=60825]see Re: Newbie Hacker[/msg])

My primary interest is in network and computer hacking, though web hacking is also interesting lol
Knowledge is not evil; only those who use it for evil intentions are evil.
EvilGenius72
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 pm
([msg=60840]see Re: Newbie Hacker[/msg])

EvilGenius72 wrote:My primary interest is in network and computer hacking, though web hacking is also interesting lol

Then Google, "Network hacking", and/or "Operating system hacking". Either way, I'd look up the aircrack suite, and Metasploit.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de
Addict
Addict

Post by popeofdope666 on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:19 am
([msg=60846]see Re: Newbie Hacker[/msg])

EvilGenius72 wrote:I'm not new to the internet and I'm very familiar with HTML, website design, and other basic computer stuff. I'm pretty handy with minor computer maintenance and stuff like getting rid of viruses. I also know how to create .bat and .cmd files, convert them to .exe files and run basic commands in a Command Prompt window. However, I'm pretty new to this whole hacking thing and while I've done okay with the challenges, I'm interested in becoming proficient with the art of hacking and using the tools of the trade. I'd like to begin studying to gain familiarity with how to hack, but there are SO MANY different areas it almost seems overwhelming where to begin. Could someone provide me with a ladder approach to study? What to study first, then where to go next and so on? I'd greatly appreciate it. I've read a ton of material on hacking, but much of it is pure bullshit and most of it incomprehensible. I need a ladder approach, where one thing provides a foundation to better understand the next. Thanks in advance for any responses.

wow we have exactly same skills :D
popeofdope666
New User
New User

Return to General