A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget

General technological topics without their own forum go here

A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget

Post by 3_Nugget on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am
([msg=50552]see A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

Good evening, hello, and how are you doing. I am writing this because I think over the past 2 months there have been a in increase in very notable criminal and government digital cracking and hacking initiatives. I am writing this for those of you who have not been keeping up on the local pulse, and also to contribute some of my own opinions and insight into the various situations.

Let me first start off that all this information is not as high quality as I would like, and that I do not have all the details and have not done totally thorough research on all of these matters. Most of this information is a mixtures of things from BBC news, Wired.com, Phrack, and second hand information, so take it for what it is worth, and me writing papers for college on things like this regularly.

So, to start off with, lets talk about the Korea Peninsula Crisis. About 3 or so months back, we had the sinking of a South Korean destroyer, causing the death of 46 sailor, a major investigation, and a one of the highest states of international tension since the end of the Korean War. This was followed up by a nuclear test, the realization that North Korea has a fairly modern nuclear development facility(s). The naming of the North Korean successor has been named (Kim joun-un, if I remember right), and now the most recent shelling of a South Korean controlled island killing 4.

So, some things went under the radar with all of this happening. North Korea now has its first operating system, considered 'safe' for is general population. Called 'Red Star', it costs roughly $5 US dollars (found anywhere fine North Korean products are sold), and is a redhat-like Linux based OS, with a word processor, and other basic computer utilites, most of which seem to be copy-pasted from open source and Microsoft products, and stamped with the North Korean Seal. It all in all runs on something that would have been cool around the turn of the century, but probably has any number of 'big brother tools' that may or may not be worth noting. All in all, this limited computer access is something we should be paying more attention to in the near future.

As for what can be taken from all of this, N Korea is well, acting out. The problem is that it has no natural resources to speak of, is ridden with poverty, and at this point, can not be a self-sustaining nation. With the transition of power from Kim senoir to junior, and the inner council of military generals all fighting it, for what ever personal other reason, we can expect something else to happen in the future. In the end, all N korea is going to do, is continue to be hostile and demand aid, like a middle school bully, because the second he stops looking tough, he is going to be walked all over.

China and the information war
So incase you have been stuck under a rock the past few years, China has been ransacking anyone and everyone who has anything of value on a outward facing network. This is to include, but not limited to Isreal, Great Britain, and the US. A large percentage of this is state funded, and is in growing sophistication. How China gets its hackers, and talent is beyond the scope of this (I will suffice to say they recruit people like us, at gun point). With the mass of attacks coming out (last time I checked, something like 40% of all the worlds attacks now come from there) and they have been successful in getting information in and out of everything to include the various government 'secret' networks.

Why and what does this mean? Well China is the worlds fastest developing nation, however to speed up this process they are stealing trade secrets, the reason being is why develop a technology that already exists, which may take thousuands or millions of dollars and time in research when you can steal it, and save yourself time and money, having your scientists research what you can't steal. However, there success has also earned a lot of public attention, with things like the massive web redirection 'middle man' attack they pulled, grabbing web traffic heading to several major US goverment websites. To be simple and blunt, while the majority of attacks are 'text book and off the shelf' they have been successful enough to get in and get out with a small percentage of their attacks against the western countries. (don't worry, they are getting their fair share of attacks as well).

More on china is to include the increasing regularity at which the Great FiREWALL of china is either being shut down, or circumvented from both the inside and outside, by hacktivists mainly. I have not followed it much, but it seems ever few weeks I hear about someone somewhere find some way to make google searches unrestricted or opening up what used to be censored sites.

Stuxnet, and the IRAN nuclear project.

So this earned a lot of hype for a while in the news, with arguably the most sophisticated government backed cracking attempt ever attempted, on a non-financial firm (or just blanket ever). Isreal and the US are the main suspects for the attack, which utilized 4 zero day attacks (...I will wait while you pick your jaw up off the floor) and was used to monitor, disrupt centrifuges used to enrich uranium. It was all in all a mixture of several programs, to include several rootkits which embedded themselves, disrupted the uranium centrifuges by making minor changes to their RPM's, camoflaged that they were doing it, and did some other malicious things, which was what initially tripped a wire and got it discovered.

I really don't have much in the way of commentary on this at the moment, and because I am getting tired, I want to get to the main thing I wanted to talk about.

WIKILEAKS and the US secret network scandal.

So, this has been all over the news for the past few months, with PFC Mannly being charged with treason, a continuing stream of releases being put out.

So the basic run down on what all has happened is this: Mannly was a PFC with a secret clearance, and would go into the SIPR room (US secret network room) with a DVD-R labeled 'lady gaga' every day, and begin downloading documents, burn them to the DVD, then take that hope, and ship it off to wikileaks. While doing this, he was in touch with Adrain Lamo (the famous Homeless hacker), who reported him, and tied him toe Julian Assange, who may or may not have been directing Mannly and what files he pulled. Since that point, Wikileaks has been steadily releasing documents which has been causing a international firestorm, with diplomatic cables and military information being released, and people worrying that of what will come of all of it, while wikileaks stares happily at the chaos.

Assange however gets arrested in England, and is held on sexual assualt charges, and faces extradition, while several major goverements to include the US are looking to file cases against him. While this is happening, the negative political and media attention prompts several major internet entities to pull support out from under wikileaks. Here is where Anonymous swings into action, performing DDOS attacks, calling 'Hack the Planet' and screaming about goverment pressure and the freedom of speech and information. Several Anonymous memeber have been arrested for being connected with the DDOS, and their seems to be some infighting within Anonymous mainly about ideals and what they are fighting for (for more on this, look up 'ColdBlooded' or soemthing like that, who has been talking to the bbc). Other more criminal organizations are pulling their heads out of the wood work to give their support, or in some cases opposition, as at least one DDOS has been performed against wikileaks with no success.

So, I will leave to you to read up more on that, while I give you some opinions on things dealing with this:

Lets start with PFC Mannly. He is charged with Treason...and he is so royally fucked he doesn't even know it yet. Despite some calls for aid, and Wikileaks promising to aid with bail and legal council, Mannly has seen very little in the way of any support, and unlike Assange is rather low profile and sadly is probably more use a martyr to their cause, and may be thrown under the bus accordingly. With being charged for Treason, he faces the death penalty, however I will put money down, as to avoid the martyr situation, he will face life in prison. He will be sent to FT. Levinworth and break rocks for the rest of his life, while he is fined so much money that his family is ruined fincanailly and unable to recover, while their reputations are torn apart by the media. I would almost feel bad, save for well, he new this might happen.

Julain Assange & wikileaks: due to his celebrity status now, Assange is getting a large amount of support from people with money, and groups with influence, and is generally being championed as a hero of the freedom of speech movement. With this behind him, he is going to be very hard to touch politically, without some crying that it is all 'a setup'. This does not mean they will try, and eventually succeed. I have no clue what all he will be charged with, but conspiracy will be a good start at least in the case of the US, and if anything sticks, he is screwed. As for wikileaks, who has been releasing encrypted documents, encase of some raid or other incident, with ridiculous encryption and password protection, I am just laughing. At this point, I question what the purpose of encryption and passwords are, as the 1024 bit encryption and 156 character passwords can be cracked by modern 'super computers' in hours or even minutes. With how rapidly computer power is going, I just don't see how they could see this as a viable solution, the US government, or any of the other western nations would not be able to break in reasonable amount of time.

Anonymous: I have a weird respect for anonymous, because well, at least they fight for what they believe in, even if it contributes to the demonized image of what hackers and crackers today are. However they are being reasonable about their attacks, even avoiding hitting amazon one their busiest shopping days because they did not want to prevent families from being able to purchase Christmas gifts. So props for that, and trying to be civil and rational about your attacks. Being arguably the most publicized hacktivist group, what does play to their strength is they are very easily accessible to no tech people, and encourage their participation. They are the ultimate in what skiddies should be, and you know what, as much as we bash skiddies, I think in the end they have something resembling the right idea. Not everyone is cut out to be a true hacker or cracker, but if the Hackers can make the tools, why should they not make it so other's can contribute to the war effort. This said, I sadly fear they are taking the wrong side in all of this, for the following reason: they are scaring the ignorant. The large majority of people understand nor do they want to, and would rather blindly assume what they are doing is bad. Politicians as a whole will soon, as I foresee it, out of ignorance or fear bring harder monitors down on the net, and do some pseudo-witch hunt for 'hacker and digital criminals', with no clue as to what they are talking about.

What will come of this a lot more laws that can and will be used against us, the way I see it. Things are changing and not for the better, so my recommendations are if you are doing anything illegal or otherwise, play it safe and pull out while the death penalty is still out of the picture for this. Anonymous itself is finding out that its members are not as anonymous as they would like, and are being picked up by police.

I guess my for now is, start paying attention to the politics of what happens to those who are being charged for participating the LOIC DDOS attacks, and what the politicians call for 'in the cause of justice', because it will be affecting dramatically how the internet, and our culture develops in the near future.

sorry if this was sloppy.

3 Nugget
Last edited by 3_Nugget on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
3_Nugget
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget

Post by thetan on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:54 am
([msg=50553]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

2 paragraph primer leading into a sudden suicide .... well .... that was dissapointing
"If art interprets our dreams, the computer executes them in the guise of programs!" - SICP

“If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it” - Albert Einstein
thetan
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:55 am
([msg=50554]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

Hopefully he's in the process of editing his post--wait a second, is that my troll detector going off? Only time will tell.

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Veres on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:17 am
([msg=50556]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

I must admit....very very insightful (notice the emphasis on the double very)
Veres
New User
New User

Post by 3_Nugget on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 am
([msg=50557]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

Sorry about that, prematurely hit return while typing, and it submitted it for me, so I had to go through editing this.

This was very rough and rushed, but well, hopefully it gets the point across that the time are rapidly changing, and I smell blood in the water.

So, as last word, please please be careful about what you all do, we are a rare breed, and this could make us even rarer.
3_Nugget
New User
New User

Post by sanddbox on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:53 am
([msg=50558]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

A great post, but there are a few inaccuracies I noticed the first quick scan (I'll have more time to read it later):

• His name is Bradley Manning, not Manly.
  • The encrypted files released are NOT easily crackable, even by supercomputers. They use such a ridiculous level of encryption that they would take billions of years to crack.

As to the anonymous arrests, I hardly see the arrest of a dutch 15 year-old who admitted to DDOSing sites and was stupid enough to use/advocate LOIC (which, brilliantly, sends your actual ip address in the flood) as a large crackdown, nor do I see the arrest of one of his friends who, along with a few others, DDOSed dutch police websites in retaliation as a large crackdown.

TL;DR for the above paragraph: They deserved it. They shouldn't call themselves "Anonymous".

HTS User Composition:
95% Male
4.98% Female
.01% Monica
.01% Goat
sanddbox
Expert
Expert

Post by Mendax_Sane on Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:01 am
([msg=50562]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

The weird thing is I was reading an article in New Scientist yesterday that's basically a less wordy version of this - it even had pretty diagrams. shits becoming more mainstream but in a very mixed light.
Mendax_Sane
New User
New User

Post by ZzBonezZ on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:46 am
([msg=50572]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

Was Bradley apart of the Embassy cables as well?

I read a good bit on this and was under the assumption he was under treason for the video release, which I must say is a rather graphic video. It was a video from a camcorder attached to a 30mm hunting device(the kinda gun you cant fit in your back pocket) that also included audio between the attack helicopter and air traffic control. Showed the helicopter lighting up a group of about 10 people and then a few more including 2 children that pulled up in a black van. I think you can still watch this from the Wikileaks.ch website mirror.
ZzBonezZ
New User
New User

Post by insomaniacal on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:46 pm
([msg=50575]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

I feel pretty bad for Bradely Manning. The man unconvered tons of information and put his life and liberty at extreme peril, yet he only gets an occasional mention, and will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison. Not to mention, he gets totally overshadowed by Assange's media firestorm.
It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes
insomaniacal.blog.com
insomaniacal
Addict
Addict

Post by Vulpine on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:31 pm
([msg=50579]see Re: A summary of Recent Events, by 3-Nugget[/msg])

insomaniacal wrote:I feel pretty bad for Bradely Manning. The man unconvered tons of information and put his life and liberty at extreme peril, yet he only gets an occasional mention, and will most likely spend the rest of his life in prison. Not to mention, he gets totally overshadowed by Assange's media firestorm.

Nobody likes a narc.

Besides, Assange is better publicity. I'm sure he knows that too.
Vulpine
Poster
Poster

Next

Return to General