Best Virus protection?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Best Virus protection?

Post by jericho39759 on Tue May 27, 2008 5:18 pm
([msg=3362]see Best Virus protection?[/msg])

I'm not sure if there is already a thread like this, but I was wondering what you would consider to be the best Anti-Virus. Although I must admit I am no major hacker, I know that this site is a great place to talk to people who know what they're talking about.

So being that you have the experience in the field of viruses (possibly), what Anti-Virus do you prefer?

Thank you,
Jericho
jericho39759
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Best Virus protection?

Post by Rijnzael on Wed May 28, 2008 2:52 am
([msg=3392]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

I can't honestly remember the last time I was infected with malware. Still, I always use AVG Free, AVG Anti-Spyware, and AVG Anti-Rootkit. I've never had any problems with false positives, though I can't say I've ever tested the security of them either.
Rijnzael
Poster
Poster

Post by qwrbrbirl on Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 am
([msg=5640]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

Zone Alarm should take care of that.
qwrbrbirl
New User
New User

Post by Lauren on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 am
([msg=6213]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

I've used both AVG and Zone alarm and have been dissapointed with both of them. I can't afford to pay for anti-viruses anymore, so I have to settle with AVG.

I've used Norton too...That was a pain in the ass...It deleted my hacking tools, knowing what they were >.< grrrr.
Lauren
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:57 am
([msg=6224]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

With AVG - the key is to always keep both your client and database up to date - I trust them more because they're free. I have a feeling that companies like Norton, Symantec, McAffee, and other major competitors are in cahoots with virus developers, no viruses == no money. Just my opinion.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by pitchaxistheorem on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:12 am
([msg=6226]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

nathandelane wrote:With AVG - the key is to always keep both your client and database up to date - I trust them more because they're free. I have a feeling that companies like Norton, Symantec, McAffee, and other major competitors are in cahoots with virus developers, no viruses == no money. Just my opinion.

Yeah... That may be possible... You can't blame them... That is POLITICS
pitchaxistheorem
New User
New User

Post by T3hR34p3r on Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:55 pm
([msg=6268]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

The best virus protection has and always will be common sense. As long as you cruise the internet safely and smartly you should do just fine.
They call me Ishmael... I'm not sure why.
T3hR34p3r
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by BaconBitz on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:29 pm
([msg=7672]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

Well I used the AVG free antivirus and at one point, my computer was infected with 43 viruses! So my mom knew this guy who knew alot about computers so he installed Panda 2007 and only a couple of infections found but it took care of them. It has not slowed down my computer. (altough its not even 5 years old and its hella slow just to start with) I dont know if its free or not but you might want to check it out. I think the reason why I keep getting viruses is because of p*rn. :P
BaconBitz
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:46 am
([msg=7935]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

Well if you're looking for warez and malware all the time then nothing is going to keep you safe! Just joking. Okay, AVG is one of the best FREE antivirus softwares and the easiest to use - Panda is NOT free, but I think they have a free trial. The BEST antivirus might be to stop using Windows, and definitely stop browsing questionable sites. :)
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by doubleman on Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:41 pm
([msg=8278]see Re: Best Virus protection?[/msg])

I use Avira AntiVir Personal Free Antivirus. It used to be called Luke Filewalker. I think its pretty good. Its got a guard thing on, so that when you download something, like something off of limewire or something, and it has a virus on it, the constant guard catches it, and asks you what you want to do with it.

I've heard norton sucks too. This computer guy told us to download this instead, because Norton had all these bugs. But we didn't have norton anyway...

Zonealarm isn't a virus protection program, its a firewall. My brother says it slows you down, but I'm not sure why he thinks that. I think Its a pretty good firewall program though. I'm not sure why he thinks it slows you down. My dad uses Window's built in firewall now.

If you have problems, you should get anti-malware things too, like spyware search and destroy, and Adaware to detect spyware/malware.
doubleman
New User
New User

Next

Return to General