Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)

Post by X4X4X4X4 on Mon May 26, 2008 2:17 pm
([msg=3269]see Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

Hello, as you can see by my join date and post count, that I'm new to these forums. I'm just asking for a little bit of help here;

Lately, my browsers (Firefox 2.0.0.14 & IE6 :mrgreen:) have been freezing, what I think is due to the Flash plugin, as before my RAM + PF was 12__ and now 5341 (I honestly don't remember the first amount). When I mean freezing, though, I mean the works. No CTRL+ALT+DELETE, no mouse movement and the only way out of it is the restart button.

Examples of the MANY sites that freeze are http://www.musicovery.com (I really loved that site :cry:), http://www.youtube.com and even http://www.runescape.com freezes on the main page because of the flash adverts (though I have to say, Adblock helped me from a crisis there :mrgreen:)

Seriously, though, I would really appreciate any help you could offer. ;)

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S, would upgrading to 3.xxx help me on the Firefox front with this issue?
X4X4X4X4
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)

Post by TheMindRapist on Mon May 26, 2008 6:41 pm
([msg=3284]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

No runescapez?
Ohs noes
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by X4X4X4X4 on Tue May 27, 2008 1:30 pm
([msg=3337]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

TheMindRapist wrote:No runescapez?
Ohs noes

Lol, it's just that game has severe unexpected psychological effects that make it so addicting, though I'm pretty sure I have the willpower to quit... :roll:
X4X4X4X4
New User
New User

Post by TheMindRapist on Tue May 27, 2008 4:55 pm
([msg=3360]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

Then quit.
And Firefox will start working again.
Also, you could cut down on the pr0n.
TheMindRapist
Contributor
Contributor

Post by X4X4X4X4 on Sat May 31, 2008 11:03 am
([msg=3817]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

OK, thanks for the advice, I guess...
X4X4X4X4
New User
New User

Post by vladiftodi on Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:49 pm
([msg=3908]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

first thing to do is check your PC for malware
if you haven't already
try claimwin a free and open sourrce antivirus :)
or even get the portable one (google)
after updating it's database scan the programs in memory it's fast and quite effective :)
second you can try uninstalling the flash plugin, and installing it manually (not the active X one) the exe from the macromedia site, using firefox, since it detects IE and instals the active x one i think,,,
you can try another broswer such as Opera(it handles some things slightly different than IE and firefox )
and last don't use IE really :)
vladiftodi
New User
New User

Post by X4X4X4X4 on Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:02 am
([msg=4431]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

OK, thanks for the help!
So far, I discovered (and removed) around 31 viruses from my C:/ and I've uninstalled my Flash Player plugin and revved it up to v10 beta.

Unfortunately, this problem has started to affect programs that have nothing to do with each other... and since my Graphics driver keeps on screwing itself up, could you help me with that as well? It's an nVidia GeForce FX 5200, anyway to keep my drivers from being a nuisance?

Thanks in advance!

PS.

I quit runescape! lol, I'm trying to get my friends to do the same, but they say "stop being so arrogant!"

EDIT:
Fixed it! Had to do with a faulty driver, so I rolled it back to the first version I owned. Also booted up as "last known good configuration" to solve the remaining errors. Thanks for the help anyways!
X4X4X4X4
New User
New User

Post by vladiftodi on Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm
([msg=10623]see Re: Flash Freezes Firefox (and other browsers, for that matter)[/msg])

If you had so many viruses you might as well reinstall windows, and get an antivirus next time :)
(sory for zombie post)
vladiftodi
New User
New User

Return to General