Monitor/display probl3ms

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Monitor/display probl3ms

Post by Silv3r on Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:17 am
([msg=12839]see Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

i need serious help. this other day while using my pc, the desktop just flickered a few times ,then went unsual.the desktop is now smaller,or thiner than it was before.when i adjust the display buttons on the monitor itself,it indicates that maximum range has been reached. i am using 640 by 480,true colour,32 bits.. and the icons and everything are insanely huge..no specific setting seems to be the right one, either too big or too small. i know it has nothing to do with the graphics card because i have tried connecting my case in another monitor and it worked perfectly fine. i am confused and dont know what to do next. please help
Silv3r
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Monitor/display probl3ms

Post by thedotmaster on Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:32 am
([msg=12941]see Re: Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

I'd help but you used "3" instead of "e" in the title meaning you simply must be ub3r l33t, and I'm therefore not elite enough for you. I'm only m0nd0 gr00vy. Not up to your standards, sorry.
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by myhexhax on Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:24 pm
([msg=12949]see Re: Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:I'd help but you used "3" instead of "e" in the title meaning you simply must be ub3r l33t,

Although that one could actually be a typo.. as 3 is right next to 'e'. If it were D15P14Y, that would be a different story. d: haha

Firstly, why are you running 640x480? Just out of curiosity. Higher resolution will allow you to enjoy better graphics, more information on your display, etc. If you have vision problems, large fonts and big icons are available if necessary.

But is sounds more-so like your problem is your monitor and/or cable. Is it a CRT or LCD? Is it VGA or DVI (or HDMI, YPbR, etc)?

The fact that you plugged it into another monitor and it works reinforces that idea. If it's a CRT, it most likely just blew. My work one died about a month ago in a fizzling light display. I lived with it for a little bit and then it eventually stopped turning on.

Hopefully you weren't too attached to that monitor, because hardware dies every once in a while.

If it's a new computer, then it may still be under warranty. Get in touch with Dell/HP/etc and see if they will replace it for you.

Hope this helps! :]
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Silv3r on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:37 am
([msg=12999]see Re: Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

its CRT ,VGA. appart from replacing the whole system, what can i do? cant this be fixed? or do i have to purchase a new monitor?
Silv3r
New User
New User

Post by myhexhax on Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:35 am
([msg=13003]see Re: Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

Most CRT's can be considered 'throw-aways'.. to take it to a shop will cost you $40 for them to even look at it. And then they'll diagnose it and say you need $50 for a new flyback or whatever, and then probably charge you even more to fix it. You don't want to do it yourself, as it can most likely result in severe injury (High voltage capacitors that can stay charged for months = PAIN!!) But with the cost of the above, you've already begun approaching the cost of a nice new monitor.

Is it a big and/or expensive monitor? You seem a little intent on keeping it. If so, get in touch with the manufacturer and see if they'll do anything about it. (but remember, if you have to pay shipping, you may be shipping a 25lb glass cube to them that may arrive in shambles.. and they tend to hold you responsible for the shipping) And if you really want to, call around, but most electronic shops will quote you the "$40 to bring it in to look at it".

In my opinion, you're better off buying a new one.
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Silv3r on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:03 am
([msg=13045]see Re: Monitor/display probl3ms[/msg])

nah, its nothing fancy, i just didnt wana spend unneccessarilly ,but now i see its my only option. i am getting a new one. thanx for the suggestion
Silv3r
New User
New User

Return to General