New PC

General technological topics without their own forum go here

New PC

Post by Zelth on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:10 pm
([msg=12489]see New PC[/msg])

I've been thinking of buying my own PC since I don't have adinistrator privileges on the one I'm using...which is like the family computer (and please don't suggest to reset the password for admin, I don't want my dad to be mad :D).

So first question.... should I buy a desktop or laptop? Personally, I would like to get a laptop because it's portable, but I would like... something advanced and secure... Mac? HP? Dell?

Suggestions?
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Learned: HTML, XHTML, CSS
Learning: PHP, C++
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New PC

Post by thedotmaster on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:35 am
([msg=12503]see Re: New PC[/msg])

Don't get a Mac. Ok? Don't. They are over-expensive, pretentious pieces of crap.
If you don't want Windows, install a free and open-source flavour of UNIX.
Personally I like Dell - I've always bought from them and I've always been happy with my PC. I like the way you can custom build a PC, but you can do this with a load of other brands as well, I believe.
As for Laptop vs Desktop - you need to think about what you'll use it for.
Do you want to do any wireless hacking? If yes, a laptop obviously - but make sure you look into the wireless card. You need one that can be run in promiscuous mode.
Do you want to game? If yes, a desktop may be a better idea.
Do you want to use it for your music? Perhaps a desktop then for the superior hard-drive sizes.
Do you want to take it anywhere? Well then you're going to need a laptop, aren't you :P
etc etc, I could go on all day.
I use my laptop (an Asus Eee PC) as a main computer, I travel with it but I also use it at home (my parents are extremely tight on computer usage, they don't know I have a laptop). I use it as a server, for filesharing (with an external HD), for sorting out my ipod, for typing, for chatting, for watching movies and for surfing the web. This thing does everything I want and I'm very happy with it.
Choosing the right PC is very important - if you're a nerd like myself, you'll be spending a good bit of time on it, remember.
Peace,
thedotmaster
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (1)

Post by Zelth on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:55 pm
([msg=12530]see Re: New PC[/msg])

Thanks thedotmaster, that was really helpful :D.
I'm still thinking about what I want to use it for, other than learning to hack, of course. But thanks for the information. :geek:
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Post by myhexhax on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:28 pm
([msg=12540]see Re: New PC[/msg])

thedotmaster wrote:Don't get a Mac. Ok? Don't. They are over-expensive, pretentious pieces of crap.

Holy crap, a free thinker. I've read so many mac-loving threads here that I was going to go insane unless I saw someone who didn't think they were godly computers.... I don't know where this inrush of mac fans into the IT community has come from, but I hope it stops. <.< no offense mac people.

I guess I should post something relevant to the topic.. The number one determining factor in what you should buy is how you're going to use it. My brother bought a laptop for college and is now regretting it because he wants to game and have lots of music, but cannot upgrade his video card nor have the immense amount of hard disk space that a desktop can (not saying there aren't external drives.. but)

If you want, you can possibly look into building your own. You can find barebones kits that are fairly cheap for a very powerful machine. You will save an incredible amount of money by building one yourself (though i'd suggest you do some research on it first.. but it's very easy, nearly everything only fits one way hehe) Just set your price, piece it together, see what you can drop and what you can upgrade, order it, and build it :] Plus, knowing the ins and outs of your hardware gives you a big advantage in some situations d:
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Zelth on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:44 pm
([msg=12552]see Re: New PC[/msg])

Hmm...I've been thinking....I want to use it for studies...and hacking, music, chat, and surf the web. I'm not that into gaming, though I've been through the gaming stage XD .... and I want to bring it around with me.... so...a laptop :D

So Mac is definitely a no, since I definitely won't have enough money to afford something too expensive. I have roughly 100$ right now...so it's probably going to be a long while till I have enough money to buy anything decent. :(

I heard Linux is good for hacking, and Windows is good for gaming....so I'm kind of leaning towards the Linus side even if I used Windows for....all the years of my life so far D:

Thanks for the ideas :D
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Post by myhexhax on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:55 pm
([msg=12554]see Re: New PC[/msg])

Don't forget, you can always dual boot it and run windows when you want to game and linux when you want to do everything else d:

I'm sure if you look around enough, you can find something affordable.. You can build a very decent desktop for about $400 (i.e. better than mine). Look at tigerdirect.com or newegg.com 's barebones kits for desktops.. as for laptops, well, that'll take alot more digging to find something affordable (sort of a niche market, not everyone can make one, and it's hard to pack all of that hardware in there)

It's good to see you're paving out what you want though :]
gniripsni ewa si rehte eht morf cisum siht
myhexhax
Poster
Poster

Post by Zelth on Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:12 pm
([msg=12556]see Re: New PC[/msg])

I heard about dual booting, but I'm not sure how it works. :D

Yeah, I don't really want a desktop because well...it'll then become the "family's" computer....yeah... I want something...personal? :shock: well maybe not personal...but...that's mine and mine alone without being scolded when I screw the computer up (happened twice already :( ) So I kind of want a laptop, because well....no one else would use it, and.... when I screw it up (which might happen....:D) I could just reformat it without caring about all the other users' stuff that's being erased ... yup, that's my story XD

400$.....that's probably take...15 weeks or more to gain.....I really need a job D: or else I only get 20$ a week....
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Post by Zelth on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:12 pm
([msg=12598]see Re: New PC[/msg])

I was looking at tigerdirect.ca's linux laptops, and I found this one called Asus Eee PC 1000 - Intel Mobile Atom Processor, Bluetooth, 802.11b/g/n Wireless, 1GB DDR2, 40GB SSD, 10" WSVGA, Webcam, Linux (Fine Ebony) , what do you guys suggest?
Z~Epsilon
Newbie Programmer
Zelth
Poster
Poster

Return to General