Projects?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Projects?

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:40 am
([msg=89009]see Projects?[/msg])

I have wanted to start tampering with cards for a while now. Anything ranging from work badges, gift cards, rewards cards, to credit cards. I decided to start up a little project to get my foot in the door using a rewards card. A local gas station gives these out like candy, even handling the registration process for you! It appears the rewards card has a unique identification number attached to it, and after some chatter in IRC it's most likely that upon swiping the card, it pulls the information out of a database based on the unique ID. This makes sense as it keeps the more sensitive data in a non tamper-able location on the actual machine. However, with the ability to write over the card's unique ID number, it leaves me with a chance to change it to another card, and hopefully one that has some value on it. After each transaction, the customer has the option to get a receipt or decline of course. These receipts have a section similar to the following:
Code: Select all
Name: John       Card: 8320522
Level: VIP       Visits: 87
-----------------------------------------
Beverages Purchased           2
Pending Offer                 1
Off per Gallon             0.23

I'm assuming the Card: xxxxxxx is the card number. So with that being said, getting my hands on receipts is all it will take to find legitimate and valuable cards to impersonate. Right now this is all theoretical, and I plan on purchasing some hardware shenanigans to make this a project to get my foot in the door of 'card hacking' as I will deem it.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think about this. If you are working on any projects or will soon, I would also like to hear about them. Any ideas on future projects for myself is also encouraged.
For those that know
K: 0x2CD8D4F9
-Ninjex-

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Projects?

Post by limdis on Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:02 pm
([msg=89018]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

I know you can get some really old school credit card making machines for pretty cheap (just really be careful where you get them from, and probably couple it with a few things). I've made a few myself dealing with ID numbers and addresses, but I haven't tried anything financial. But I would assume the process is fairly similar. Credit card readers can also easily be purchased. Again for really cheap if get older versions.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by pretentious on Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:22 am
([msg=89028]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

Not reaaaally on topic but I once had the idea of messing with credit cards. I heard that they use tripple des to encrypt the PIN so that would take about a millisecond to break, I could clone cards or program to my hearts content. Actually looked into getting a reader and some blank ones but never really got around to it.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
Can you say brainwashing It's a non stop disco
pretentious
Addict
Addict

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:38 am
([msg=89030]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

limdis wrote:I've made a few myself dealing with ID numbers and addresses, but I haven't tried anything financial. But I would assume the process is fairly similar.

Aye, hit me up in le sh0p on a day from the 19th - 21st? I would like to talk more with you about your experiences.

-- Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:15 am --

pretentious wrote:Not reaaaally on topic but I once had the idea of messing with credit cards. I heard that they use tripple des to encrypt the PIN so that would take about a millisecond to break, I could clone cards or program to my hearts content. Actually looked into getting a reader and some blank ones but never really got around to it.

Sounds like a shitty design for the PIN to be tied to the actual card... Some of the chatter in le sh0p mentioned that the PIN usually gets sent of as arbitrary input from the card holder and verified with a bank. Maybe someone here can verify that, or I will research more on that when I get some free time.

My setup should be complete by the 20th if nothing goes wrong with the parts I have ordered and what not. So I will either post the updated progress here, or maybe make a new thread dedicated for this individual project.

I'm slightly surprised it seems that no one here is working on any projects they are willing to publicly announce (other than what I have seen from MadMouse in IRC) I really dedicated this thread to maybe spiking individual curiosity enough to go out and learn or try new things :D
For those that know
-Ninjex-

Post by defcore on Sat May 21, 2016 10:49 am
([msg=92332]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

I realize this thread is very old but you've piqued my curiosity. Did you have any success with the reward cards?
defcore
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun May 22, 2016 7:38 am
([msg=92338]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

defcore wrote:I realize this thread is very old but you've piqued my curiosity. Did you have any success with the reward cards?

Yes, in fact I did have success with the rewards card. I never came back to this thread :)
I was able to get some information and write to my rewards card. I overwrote the value on the magstrip.
Went to the store, and everything worked perfectly (:
For those that know
-Ninjex-

Post by defcore on Sun May 22, 2016 8:22 am
([msg=92341]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
defcore wrote:I realize this thread is very old but you've piqued my curiosity. Did you have any success with the reward cards?

Yes, in fact I did have success with the rewards card. I never came back to this thread :)
I was able to get some information and write to my rewards card. I overwrote the value on the magstrip.
Went to the store, and everything worked perfectly (:

That's pretty awesome! Thanks for the reply.
defcore
New User
New User

Post by K40st3mP0 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:19 pm
([msg=93146]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

Hi -Ninjex-
I was starting a similar project and I've seen you got some results out of that.

I'll not bother you asking all the details but just one thing. Can you just point me to a good (just enough to write on cards like gift/point/ cards) reader/writer?

I really would try to find one by my self but, you know, they cost money. :D

I've got an rough idea:
Read/Write/Erase 3 Tracks, High & Low Coercivity (300~4000 Oe).

And about the software is not a problem, I can find lot of them.

Can that do the job?

Thanks anyway!
Cheers!
K40st3mP0
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:55 am
([msg=93149]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

The device I used: https://www.amazon.com/Misiri-MSR606H-M ... B01GPECDGI
Keep in mind that I tried running the software developed through wine in Linux and it was not compatible that way. So, the software was exclusively for Mac and Windows.
For those that know
-Ninjex-

Post by K40st3mP0 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:21 am
([msg=93150]see Re: Projects?[/msg])

Thanks for the heads up!
K40st3mP0
New User
New User