New here and wondering if y'all can help me?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

New here and wondering if y'all can help me?

Post by BigMike86 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:39 am
([msg=8407]see New here and wondering if y'all can help me?[/msg])

OK, so as my title says, Im new to this site. So I'll give you a quick rundown of who I am. Im a 22 year old Computer Science major in college with a strong emphasis on business programming. Now what I really want to do is learn somethings that will help me out a little bit in school as far as leaning programming languages and html and C++ and those sort of things. My main goal out of learning "hacking" and programming/coding is to one day work for myself as a network/internet security advisor, so I want to go about learning as much as I can now. But the thing is, I have problems finding resources that have the information that I need to learn all this stuff (I mean my text books only have so much information).

So I was wondering if you guys could point me in the direction of some resources that would help me learn how to "hack" and all of this whole 'sometimes confusing' field?

I appreciate y'all taking the time to look over and read this stuff and I appreciate any answers or help you guys can give me.
BigMike86
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: New here and wondering if y'all can help me?

Post by anonHacker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:13 pm
([msg=8410]see Re: New here and wondering if y'all can help me?[/msg])

Start with doing all the missions and look for help whenever you cant do one or you're stumped.

For some common exploits, learn the meaning behind the keywords "code injection","race condition", and "buffer overflow". Other types of insecurities exist in transparent validation methods (For instance, Worse Than Failure once featured a website that used a JavaScript confirmed password prompt, which meant that anyone who looked at the page's code could find the password or just avoid entering one altogether either by injecting javascript into the address bar or by copy and pasting the URL of the "secured" page.), inherently insecure framework (For one, virtually any type of web security that is strictly client-side and not server-side. Rule of thumb: Do not trust the client. Beyond that, batch scripts, etc.), and the list goes on...

A lot of hacking involves coding and abusing poor code, so, of course, learning how to code is a good place to start. It seems you're already familiar with C++ and HTML, so that's good. Still, learn more and, as far as websites are concerned, you should probably expand your knowledge into JavaScript, PHP, and SQL.
Last edited by anonHacker on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anonHacker
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by fashizzlepop on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm
([msg=8411]see Re: New here and wondering if y'all can help me?[/msg])

Tizag.com is a great place to learn all about HTML/JavaScript/CSS/PHP/and XHTML I cant remember if they have a tutorial on MySQL tho...
The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty; it's merely twice as big as it needs to be.
fashizzlepop
Developer
Developer

Post by BigMike86 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:50 pm
([msg=8458]see Re: New here and wondering if y'all can help me?[/msg])

Wow! Thanks y'all for the quick replies full of helpful information. I was a bit worried when I joined the forum section of a "hacker" website that I wouldn't be accepted or helped out, but y'all have certainly changed my mindset about that. Thanks again so much for all of y'alls help.
BigMike86
New User
New User

Return to General