Recovering RAR password.

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Recovering RAR password.

Post by the-horrorist on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:44 pm
([msg=7910]see Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

I can't open the files located on a .rar archive. I know I could always just bruteforce the pass, but I really don't feel like waiting for hours just to find that the bruteforce didnt work. So, I was wondering if there were any known work-arounds, or vulnerabilities in the Win Rar file protection. For instance, is there anyway I could get an encrypted password etc...
the-horrorist
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Recovering RAR password.

Post by nathandelane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:54 am
([msg=7936]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

Google rar password and you'll find some things to help you. I would get out of any site that doesn't give you information immediately as soon as you can. Good luck. And why are people using RAR anyway? LZMA is better :)
Last edited by nathandelane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by the-horrorist on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:43 pm
([msg=7947]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

nathandelane wrote:Google rar password and you'll find some things to help you. I would get out of any site that doesn't give you information immediately as soon as you can. Good luck. And why are people using RAR anyway? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZMA]LZMA[/url] is better :)

I've already done that and all I've come up with is how to password protect your files, and how to crack it with a brute force.
the-horrorist
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:46 pm
([msg=7948]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

Well then it sounds like you have two choices, don't recover the password or try out brute force.

the-horrorist wrote:I know I could always just bruteforce the pass, but I really don't feel like waiting for hours just to find that the bruteforce didnt work.

Being patient brings both wisdom and increases skill. Quick fixes never stay with you. If you really want to learn something, then it will likely take you a long time. See Teach Yourself Programming In Ten Years.
Me, Nathandelane, Highly influential to Hackerdom, Premature Optimization=http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?PrematureOptimization
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Post by the-horrorist on Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:13 pm
([msg=7950]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

nathandelane wrote:Well then it sounds like you have two choices, don't recover the password or try out brute force.

the-horrorist wrote:I know I could always just bruteforce the pass, but I really don't feel like waiting for hours just to find that the bruteforce didnt work.

Being patient brings both wisdom and increases skill. Quick fixes never stay with you. If you really want to learn something, then it will likely take you a long time. See Teach Yourself Programming In Ten Years.

Good advice, thanks for the tips and the effort. ;D
the-horrorist
New User
New User

Post by 88crawler88 on Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:44 pm
([msg=8011]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

I use this topic to don't open another one , and my question is , is there a program faster than the usual ones for bruteforce a rar file , or a very complete dictionary to download?
88crawler88
New User
New User

Post by nathandelane on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:00 am
([msg=8057]see Re: Recovering RAR password.[/msg])

88crawler88 wrote:is there a program faster than the usual ones for bruteforce a rar file , or a very complete dictionary to download?

You could program one. Dictionary brute force attacks require that you have a long list of words. There are several places that you can download such lists in several languages. You'll want to search for dictionary file or something similar. Writing the program, you can write in in any language, though you may have to do some resorting if you use something that standardizes on unicode ASCII/EBCDIC character sets. Anyway, do some more research and see what you can find out. There are often specs on files all over the Internet, I'm certain you could find one about RAR files and then figure out how to pursue the task.
nathandelane
Poster
Poster

Return to General