Help with backtrack.

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Help with backtrack.

Post by sealle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:14 am
([msg=78867]see Help with backtrack.[/msg])

Hi everyone,

So, I have this problem. I needed some software to decrypt the hash on realistic 5 and I couldn't find a safe copy of Cain and able, so I got the iso for Backtrack 5. Now that I have booted it and got it running, I can't get Cain and Able to start. Has anyone else had these problems or have any idea as how to fix it?
sealle
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Help with backtrack.

Post by limdis on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:42 am
([msg=78870]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

Cain can be installed via wine but it is limited. It's really meant for windows. I would also suggest looking into using John the Ripper.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:57 am
([msg=78871]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

For future reference, you should post the error output here in a code block so we can help investigate further.
I recommend you ditch BT anyways and grab Kali as this is the new alternative from the same developers. Afaik, the BT forums are no longer supported so help will be minimal in BT opposed to the new alternative of Kali.

Post your error output please.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by hellow533 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 am
([msg=78872]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

The website that primarily hosts Cain it perfectly safe. Most AV freak out for no reason because Cain is considered a malicious program.

BT5 is fine depending on what you want to do with it. Considering you're using it to slap hashes, I don't think going for Kali is going to be worthwhile for you. BT5 should still come with a copy of John. If not and I'm wrong, look into just downloading JTR yourself. Cain's use is mainly for Windows, so it's operation with linux based systems is going to be edgy at best, just as Limdis stated before.

So either download Cain on windows against your antivirus' own bickering, or use JohnTheRipper. I wouldn't spring for Kali unless you're actually going to use it past this.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 am
([msg=78874]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

I don't think you understand the point of my argument.
The reason isn't to get a working copy of JTR, it is for technical support from the developers via forums.
If he is having questions about a corrupted or non working copy of JTR, it would save all of us and him time to convert over to a supported distribution. Otherwise, it will be a hassle for all of us when more issues arrive in the future.

As stated before, and I will again: I advise you to switch to the supported alternative of Kali. It's not hard and doesn't take much time to do.

-- Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:07 am --

hellow533 wrote:unless you're actually going to use it past this.

It's assumed that an avid user taking on challenges at a hacking site would use it past 'this'.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by sealle on Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:30 pm
([msg=78881]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

Wow, I got a lot more replies than I expected to get, thanks everyone.
The weird thing about all this is that it's not giving an error output, it just stops. What I mean is that after I got the install set up, I would try to launch the application and the little bar at the bottom of the screen would say that it was launching Cain and the the block closes but nothing happens from there.

On the note of trying JTR, Where would I be able to get that? The more tool I have the better, right? Would I be able to use that on a live operating system or would I have to install it on the regular hard drive?
sealle
New User
New User

Post by limdis on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:41 pm
([msg=78883]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

If I remember correctly Backtrack already comes with JTR installed. You'll just to google up on how to use it effectively :geek:
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:44 am
([msg=78899]see Re: Help with backtrack.[/msg])

limdis wrote:If I remember correctly Backtrack already comes with JTR installed. You'll just to google up on how to use it effectively :geek:

You would indeed be correct.
It's a bit different than Kali though; as you need to go to the correct directory prior to launching the program.
I believe the directory is located as: /pentest/passwords/john
This is where you would execute the program.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Return to General