how fast can u type

General technological topics without their own forum go here

how fast can u type

Post by pretentious on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:27 pm
([msg=78841]see how fast can u type[/msg])

So I came across this just now...
centip3de wrote:I tend to type pretty quickly and once received the comment that my fingers look like a centipede on the keyboard, and thus I was born. The '3' is for the ladies.

I havn't been complamented in the same way that cent has but I work in a help desk where, if i have a particularly noisy keyboard, customers have on occasion said 'boy you're fast'.
So yeah, out of curiosity

how fast can you type? wpm? if you don't know try http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php I just got 51wpm (used to be close to 60 :( )
how do you type? 'asdf-jkl; home keys', '2 finger typing', i'm sure there are variations
how much time do you spend typing? I put a keylogger on my computer because I keep forgetting my password and noticed that i barely did any typing on my computer (mobile phones and what not)
Oh and a big one, do you look at your keyboard? I call bullshit on guys who claim to be able to type in a high percentile without really investing deliberate practice into it and I bet this is the deciding factor.
GOGOGO
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: how fast can u type

Post by limdis on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:44 pm
([msg=78843]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

First go without pre-reading it I got 59wps with 1 mistake. I normally type a lot faster though when I'm not trying to duplicate what I am reading.
"The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear..."
"Drink all the booze, hack all the things."
limdis

Post by SgtCostello on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 am
([msg=78847]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

Tried it out myself. Also got 59wpm with 1 mistake, though I did have to go back and fixed a lot of mistakes as I was typing.

I also for the most part use 2-4 fingers typing. I'm unfortunately used to using my index and middle fingers, even after going through 3 years of typing classes. Home row never really stuck with me. At least I can type without looking, though. (unless it's special characters.

EDIT: Went through a second speed run and got 64 wpm without any mistakes! :mrgreen:
SgtCostello
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:34 am
([msg=78848]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

Not as fast as I wish. I'm missing three keys and the left shift key is broken. I should buy a new keyboard this weekend.
http://i.imgur.com/kCnoWvH.png
Also, as limdis; didn't pre-read

-- Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:19 am --

pretentious wrote:how do you type? 'asdf-jkl; home keys', '2 finger typing', i'm sure there are variations

I use all eight fingers to type 'asdf-jkl;'

pretentious wrote:how much time do you spend typing?

Between IRC and programming not on a work day, probably damn near or exceeding 8 hours a day.
Work days, I would say at least an hour or two.

pretentious wrote:Oh and a big one, do you look at your keyboard? I call bullshit on guys who claim to be able to type in a high percentile without really investing deliberate practice into it and I bet this is the deciding factor.

I don't look at my keyboard when I type, with minor excetions to things like ~, `, num lock, del, etc
I also look at my keyboard 'now' because my number 6 key on my row keys is broken as well. I have to use the number pad, so I look down to find the correct spot on the number pad.
I wouldn't say I practice at typing; however I used to be fairly poor with special characters, but programming solved that problem fairly quick.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by pretentious on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:01 am
([msg=78897]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Not as fast as I wish.

I agree, hang your head in shame. You're an embarrasment :P

-- Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:12 pm --

Actually ninjex, I have another site with beter stats than the original one. If you have 2 minutes to waste, give it a shot
http://www.goodtyping.com/test.php
I'm curious about your keystrokes per minute
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 am
([msg=78900]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

These tests seem a bit longer in length, and use more punctuation making it slightly harder for a good score. I've ran into a lot of "'s and ()'s and :'s, etc which makes my job harder with my left shift key being broke.

However, I managed to murk up 86wpm which is equal to 428cpm

Here is my certificate information:

Certificate number: C00183391
Validation code: 1187814

Which can be validated here:

http://www.goodtyping.com/certificates/
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by centip3de on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:24 pm
([msg=78906]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

According to the site you posted, I type at about 80 WPM, which is quite a bit lower than I'm used to getting. I blame my low score on one, not having my mechanical keyboard with me (where I usually score around 92-96), and two, the long (and dated) words in the given paragraph. In an attempt to change my score, I went to https://www.typingtest.com/ and did Aesop's Fables where I got 92 WPM with 7 errors, which reduced me to 85 WPM. A bit better, I suppose. Anyway, to answer your questions:

I type with all my fingers on the home row ("asdf-jkl;")
    I probably spend around 4-6 hours a day typing, though I've been slacking off on programming lately.
    I don't look at my keyboard when I type, as having to do 3 years of typing classes in school allowed me to memorize all of the keys and 6 years of programming allowed me to memorize the symbols.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by tgoe on Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:58 am
([msg=79039]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

Solid 30WPM chiming in.

I've never had formal typing classes and never really thought about typing speed. I should probably force myself to improve.
What do you guys think of das?
tgoe
Contributor
Contributor

Post by centip3de on Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 pm
([msg=79047]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

tgoe wrote:Solid 30WPM chiming in.

I've never had formal typing classes and never really thought about typing speed. I should probably force myself to improve.
What do you guys think of das?

I have a Das Keyboard (Ultimate, I think). It's amazing. It makes it a pleasure to type and really give a good response as you type. I would HIGHLY recommend it.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by pretentious on Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 am
([msg=79067]see Re: how fast can u type[/msg])

speaking of response time. Another idiosyncrasy that I have is my keyboard settings are really sensitive. I have the repeate response time set low so I can back space a whole sentence in a quarter of a second because I can easily type it put again in another second. I've forgotten if windows has this option, I should really try to configure it at work. Not having decent task switching, intuitive active window scrolling (anyone know what I'm taking about?) and the slow keyboard input is all the reason I need to hold a grudge against that os haha

pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to General