Is it worth it?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Is it worth it?

Post by cybreblade on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:55 pm
([msg=78732]see Is it worth it?[/msg])

This sounds silly, but please listen.

I have recently started back to school (for IT/cybersecurity.) Being proactive, I took to this site to get ahead of the game. I thought that a grasp of hacking would give me an edge as my classes progress.

One of the college's guidance personnel lives right below me, and one day cornered me to ask me how things were going. I mentioned my intentions on my self-led teaching, and he began complaining, saying it wasn't needed for my career choice.

Now my question, is it worth it training in hacking/programming for an IT/cybersecurity career? Are the lessons taught in my classes enough? I was so sure when I began the HTML training via this site, but now I have doubts.
cybreblade
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Is it worth it?

Post by Acidiferous on Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:55 pm
([msg=78734]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

If you like doing the mission or you just find the subjects on the forum interesting, then it's worth it. If it's a pain for you to do, then it's not.

A teacher who starts complaining about you spending some time learning something, is a strange teacher. I think the same goes if it was a woodworking class you had decided to take in your spare time. Maybe if you used the words hacker or hack, he automatically thought 'No no no!'. It's words with many meanings and prejudices these days.

If you have trouble keeping up with your studies, I can understand if he wants you to spend some more time on your school things.

If you like doing it and it's not destructive for your current school studies, then it's not even a relevant question, go for it. ;)

If you like computers and want to work with them in one way or the other, then it's always a good thing to have some basic programming skills. Or networking knowledge, or IT-Security knowledge, or what ever you find interesting that has something to do with IT... study printers, they are still a big mystery to me sometimes :D

(But they often are very badly secured :mrgreen:)
Acidiferous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by M00rlicious on Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:27 am
([msg=78737]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

What a foolish teacher; How can you prevent one of your students to learn more? Guess it are one of the signs of the end day drawing near.

Anyway.

There is this huge pond with all these small and barely noticed fish. There are so many of them in this pond, you can't tell the one is much different from the other, except for a few.

They have these nice and colourful stripes and are larger then the rest.

The IT sector is the same.

We are here on HTS to teach, learn and discover. So that we may be that colourful and bigger fish that are noticed in the pond.

Have a nice day
M00rlicious
New User
New User

Post by hellow533 on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:19 am
([msg=78738]see Re: Is it worth it?[/msg])

I must agree that telling your students education in the same field isn't relevant to their career path is boneheaded. Yes, it's worth it.

For my networking-related career path, I started off in network setups and things mostly related to setting up and running new networks for small business/home. Running cables, setting up routers, setting up wifi and passwords. It was very basic, but it made some cash. I continued my education and moved on to network analysis. So now, I do the same network setups and set up traffic monitoring for employees who weren't working or may have been trying to steal information. I also started setting up filters so that they can only go to certain sites. Still very basic.

Continuing on with education I moved on to network security. Instead of just setting up passwords and mac address filters, I also set up things such as IPSEC, shells, etc. This is when, at least in my area, network security was starting to boom. Constant conventions from Blackhat and other big "hacker" related groups helped that along perfectly. Eventually I found a job with a defense contractor and began doing bigger businesses while also setting up presentations on how to avoid social engineering and other major security problems. By this point, I attained my CEH and CASP certifications, which I still hold close to me today.

The point is, your career in computers can grow by a vast amount. You can self study your CEH, which even without getting the actual certification will open your eyes and give you a tremendous amount of information and tools to use in your career path. I told you my story because if I listened to some shit teacher who told me learning about network security wouldn't help with my career path, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Keep in mind I joined HTS in 2009, so that was quite early on in my computer related career. it's what sparked my interest in security and penetration testing in the first place.
“Teach me how to hack!”
"What, like, with an axe?"
hellow533
Contributor
Contributor

Return to General