maybe hack my site

General technological topics without their own forum go here

maybe hack my site

Post by pretentious on Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 am
([msg=78609]see maybe hack my site[/msg])

avoiding my usual poetic prehistory to provide context. I got a website that I'm hosting on thousand year old hardware that no one will miss and my parents internet connection because I live in a share house and can't fuck with the router, with a $3.99 domain. Have denyhosts installed and blocking brute force attempts( yes i have ssh with a sexy login banner not explicitly threatening hackers with prosecution)

I was going to provide the link. It's pretty locked down if you ask me but I don't have the latest ubuntu server because of the hardware ( came with win 97 ) so maybe you guys could find vulns with the no longer supported system.

Now to the question after realizing i have provided my usual poetic prehistory to an extent, and you're all welcome.
I've gathered that HTS is flooded with noobs DDOSing like there is no tomorrow and my server is hosted on a personal home connection with shit all bandwidth compared to HTS, and it's my parents internet connection and I couldn't let you guys fuck with their stuff.
Am i correct in my assumptions that it would be a bad idea to let you lose with the IP?
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: maybe hack my site

Post by -Ninjex- on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:04 am
([msg=78610]see Re: maybe hack my site[/msg])

pretentious wrote:Am i correct in my assumptions that it would be a bad idea to let you lose with the IP?

How else are you going to have people pentest the site? It must be hosted on the internet somewhere. Once it's on the internet, it obtains an IP address. A DNS lookup is simple. In theory, if people are going to DDoS it, you can't do much. However, only accepting certain people to test your site via pm is a good idea, to mitigate the newbies.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Re: maybe hack my site

Post by Goatboy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:51 pm
([msg=78614]see Re: maybe hack my site[/msg])

To be honest, posting your IP here will probably be a bad idea for a different reason. For the first few days this thread is active, you'll be hit sorta hard. After that things will die down. And after that bots will crawl HTS, pick up your IP and scan the shit out of you.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to General