Multicore Support with SoftIce

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Multicore Support with SoftIce

Post by vindy on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:52 am
([msg=78595]see Multicore Support with SoftIce[/msg])

Hi everyone. I think I already know the answer to this question but I wanted to make sure. Does the old Windows debugger SoftIce have support for machines with multicore processors? I don't think that it does, but if in fact it does my next question would be can I use it on my newer system. I'm running an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, and would it be able to identify most of the instructions on the chipset. I think AMD machines, if I'm not mistaken, are 8086 set machines for the most part, and I don't think they have changed radically enough since the late 90's for SoftIce not to be able to decode most of the instructions it would encounter. Plus, I'm guessing what operating system anybody would be running, new or old, really doesn't matter since SoftIce loads before the operating system and runs independently of it. Like I said, I think the answer to this question is "No", and if that is the case is there a Windows debugger out there right now that I could use similar to SoftIce that would work the same way by staying resident in memory at all times and allow you to interrupt the OS and look at the assembly instructions being executed, change things in memory, load values into registers, set conditional breakpoints, etc. I know there is WinDebug, but I'm not too familiar with how it works and I'm not sure if it is like SoftIce in how it operates. Its just really cool, and educational, to be able to stop and step through what is currently being executed by the OS, and other programs, and watch as it does everything it does on the processor. If anybody can help me out with some answers I'd appreciate it.
vindy
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Multicore Support with SoftIce

Post by centip3de on Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:32 pm
([msg=78613]see Re: Multicore Support with SoftIce[/msg])

SoftICE was kind of a unique thing, in that, as you said, it was a kernel level debugger. It's rare to find anything like it these days, and I don't believe it was capable of multicore, seeing as it was discontinued in 2000 (and multicore CPU's weren't entirely too common then). I always recommend OllyDBG for debuggers, but it's a usermode debugger, so it won't be able to halt Windows on a whim. I hear there's a few other's out there that are worth a Google, but their names fail me at the moment. If you'd like I could give them to you, but right now I got to run. Best of luck!
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by vindy on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm
([msg=79055]see Re: Multicore Support with SoftIce[/msg])

Hi centip3de. I hope I did not make you angry with the reply I posted to your reply on my topic about promiscuous mode in Windows 8. I was just letting you know how I feel about that kind of impatience. Anyhow, I am not holding a grudge and I hope you are not either.

I have done some more research on this topic and the most promising thing I have come across is a Kernel Level debugger for Windows called BugChecker. It looks like it in many ways it is similar to the old SoftIce we all loved, but the guy has more work to put in on it before it is as good as SoftIce was. The guy programming BugChecker is rather young to be so good with low level programming. I sent him an email asking if he would like any help with the development of BugChecker, as limited as it may be considering I'm not too experienced with low level programming, and I never got a reply. In any case, you may already be aware of this Windows Debugger, but if you aren't the URL to it is http://bugchecker.com/

I was wondering what you think of it. Does it look promising to you as well? C-ya around and no hard feelings about that other topic of mine.
vindy
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 pm
([msg=79157]see Re: Multicore Support with SoftIce[/msg])

vindy wrote:Hi centip3de. I hope I did not make you angry with the reply I posted to your reply on my topic about promiscuous mode in Windows 8. I was just letting you know how I feel about that kind of impatience. Anyhow, I am not holding a grudge and I hope you are not either.

I have done some more research on this topic and the most promising thing I have come across is a Kernel Level debugger for Windows called BugChecker. It looks like it in many ways it is similar to the old SoftIce we all loved, but the guy has more work to put in on it before it is as good as SoftIce was. The guy programming BugChecker is rather young to be so good with low level programming. I sent him an email asking if he would like any help with the development of BugChecker, as limited as it may be considering I'm not too experienced with low level programming, and I never got a reply. In any case, you may already be aware of this Windows Debugger, but if you aren't the URL to it is http://bugchecker.com/

I was wondering what you think of it. Does it look promising to you as well? C-ya around and no hard feelings about that other topic of mine.

It's not a grudge if only 10 minutes have passed.

Anywho, that looks like a pretty neat program, but from what I can tell the development of it is inactive. It also only works with Windows XP-era operating systems (XP/200 IIRC), so unless you want to run XP, or run it only in a VM, I don't think it'll work. Your best bet, from what I can tell, is WinDBG.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by vindy on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:56 pm
([msg=79183]see Re: Multicore Support with SoftIce[/msg])

Actually, I am running XP. My computer is ancient, bought it back in 2006, but thanks to regular maintenance, cleans, scans, and fixes, with decent utilities it still runs fairly well and is sufficient for most everything I need to do with it, and I am hopeful that with continued maintenance I will get another 2 or 3 years good use out of it. I do now have a Windows 8 laptop, but most of my time is spent on this old HP Desktop of mine. Anyhow, thanks for helping me out with this question and I'll c-ya around.
vindy
New User
New User

Return to General