Basic help

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Basic help

Post by johanneaardvark on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:55 pm
([msg=77614]see Basic help[/msg])

Hello! I am new to this site, and I am really interested in learning your magical, ancient ways, but you see, I was stuck really early on the challenges. Actually already by some of the first challenges I was unable to understand what to do. I don't want to insult you guys by asking you to give me a 101-course on hacking, because I know you have way better things to do. Instead I shall just ask, if you guys can tell me where I can go to learn the basics (we're talking basic as in ground, down, bottom, I-suck-so-fucking-much-basics) and then after I've learnt those, I can perhaps return to this glorious site and practice my new earned skills.
I hope I make sense. I feel this is oddly worded. Hello good bye, have a nice day and I would be delighted if you answered me.
johanneaardvark
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Basic help

Post by Tentra on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:21 pm
([msg=77616]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

If you are stuck on the first of the basic series of missions, you likely need to learn about HTML, mainly HTML forms. Your question is a little vague, so I'm not entirely sure what type of answer you're looking for. The forums contain threads relating to the individual missions, so check the appropriate thread for some hints if you get stuck.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by centip3de on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:25 pm
([msg=77617]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

johanneaardvark wrote:Hello! I am new to this site, and I am really interested in learning your magical, ancient ways, but you see, I was stuck really early on the challenges. Actually already by some of the first challenges I was unable to understand what to do. I don't want to insult you guys by asking you to give me a 101-course on hacking, because I know you have way better things to do. Instead I shall just ask, if you guys can tell me where I can go to learn the basics (we're talking basic as in ground, down, bottom, I-suck-so-fucking-much-basics) and then after I've learnt those, I can perhaps return to this glorious site and practice my new earned skills.
I hope I make sense. I feel this is oddly worded. Hello good bye, have a nice day and I would be delighted if you answered me.

First and foremost, hello and welcome to HTS.

Now on to the crux of the matter; the simplest (and first thing everybody has to do) to glimpse into the world of hacking, is to learn HTML. A good website for this is W3Schools, but really any website that is somewhat recent and written by a competent author would work just fine. After that, then you can move on to Javascript (for use with websites and the Internet in general) or Python (for use locally). Once you get to there you should have a good idea where to go and what to do next.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Post by johanneaardvark on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:02 pm
([msg=77619]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

centip3de wrote:
johanneaardvark wrote:Hello! I am new to this site, and I am really interested in learning your magical, ancient ways, but you see, I was stuck really early on the challenges. Actually already by some of the first challenges I was unable to understand what to do. I don't want to insult you guys by asking you to give me a 101-course on hacking, because I know you have way better things to do. Instead I shall just ask, if you guys can tell me where I can go to learn the basics (we're talking basic as in ground, down, bottom, I-suck-so-fucking-much-basics) and then after I've learnt those, I can perhaps return to this glorious site and practice my new earned skills.

Now on to the crux of the matter; the simplest (and first thing everybody has to do) to glimpse into the world of hacking, is to learn HTML. A good website for this is W3Schools, but really any website that is somewhat recent and written by a competent author would work just fine. After that, then you can move on to Javascript (for use with websites and the Internet in general) or Python (for use locally). Once you get to there you should have a good idea where to go and what to do next.

I realised that my problem was an entirely different one. I wasn't looking on this very creatively, because I expected hacking to be more concrete. I already know basic html, but I dearly appreciate your response and I shall certainly use these links to get a better understanding of things once I get to the harder challenges! Much appreciated, though. (As I just said. Sorry for repeating myself)
johanneaardvark
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm
([msg=77621]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

If you know HTML, keep in mind that every hacker hits cntrl+u at some point in time.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Amazingred on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:08 pm
([msg=77622]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

Actually u'll be using it so often you should do what I do. Change the shortcut from ctl+u because 2 buttons takes too long. I made mine the spacebar.
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Amazingred
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Kataclysmic on Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:55 am
([msg=77820]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

As mentioned above python is a great language to start learning. If you choose to learn it I would recommend lawofcode.com and for books 1.Learn Python the Hard Way by Zed Shaw 2. Violent Python (and/or) Gray Hat Python. In that order btw.
http://lawofcode.com
What will you learn?
Kataclysmic
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:18 am
([msg=77825]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

Kataclysmic wrote:As mentioned above python is a great language to start learning. If you choose to learn it I would recommend lawofcode.com and for books 1.Learn Python the Hard Way by Zed Shaw 2. Violent Python (and/or) Gray Hat Python. In that order btw.

I would disagree with that. Maybe something in the following order
1. Codecademy
2. Learn Python the Hard Way
3. Read - Violent Python (Hacking with Python ebook)
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by Just Mid Please on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 pm
([msg=78261]see Re: Basic help[/msg])

centip3de wrote:

You really helped me out :) Thank you!
Just Mid Please
New User
New User

Return to General