- Browser compatibility including Internet Explorer 8 (ugh).
- Client-Server communication (preferably with efficiency and security) that can handle signals and data requests.
- Some sort of animation, graphics handling like SVG support or other with user interaction and events.
- A backend database for storing and delivering information to and from the app.
- Extensible in the future (meaning, the technology should last and be update-able).
- License: We plan to sell this thing for a lot of money, but make it cheap, so the stuff we use should be free-ish and legally so!
- It needs to look good too.
That's the framework (no pun intended) for this topic discussion. Now before you can win your contract you must present a short briefing of the technologies that you intend to use to achieve the goals above, AND WHY you chose that technology.
Briefing Reqs: The three(ish) tiers of a web app (presentation, application and storage).
- Storage (eq: MySQL) - And why.
- Application (eg: Django, CodeIgniter, Silverlight) - And why.
- Presentation (eq: jQueryUI, Homebrew) - and why.
- Additional Tech Required (eg: raphael, mako, flash) - and of course, why.
Let the discussion begin, I will play the part of the project manager who already thinks who knows what he wants to use because he's a c++ fanboy. Your job is to convince me that i'm an idiot (unless of course somehow you come up with the solution I'm thinking of).