SSI's and Web structure

General technological topics without their own forum go here

SSI's and Web structure

Post by TOWR on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:55 am
([msg=77509]see SSI's and Web structure[/msg])

I just completed basic 8 & 9 and I have a question about SSI's and Web structure. So, what I think I found out is that web pages operate almost in the same way that directories do. The main webpage being the root and then each link deeper in the page being a directory, am I right?

*split from irrelevant topic ~ limdis*
TOWR
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: SSI's and Web structure

Post by tremor77 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 pm
([msg=77543]see Re: SSI's and Web structure[/msg])

TOWR wrote:I just completed basic 8 & 9 and I have a question about SSI's and Web structure. So, what I think I found out is that web pages operate almost in the same way that directories do. The main webpage being the root and then each link deeper in the page being a directory, am I right?

Not really. For a basic overview any link on a webpage can end up at any level of the web servers local structure.. lets take a look at a basic LAMP setup on apache 2.4

Default Server Root: /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ - this is a root directory on a default install of a web server. Generally, directory browsing will not be available unless it is turned on by the operator. Within that directory will be files, of course.. files with an extension such as .html will be available to the browser visiting the site. Of course, depending on the setup, parts of that website could be deeper in the directory like /htdocs/about/index.html

On top of that, there are virtual hosts and virtual directories, other web servers that serve content dynamically from various sources and templates like Python WSGI, and of other websites that are entirely database driven, where the page is really just a wrapper about a dataset all stored virtually.

Not to be harsh, I like that you've made an assumption and linked it to something you are familiar with, but sadly it is just entirely wrong.
tremor77
Contributor
Contributor

Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to General