Programming Language?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Programming Language?

Post by philG17 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:47 pm
([msg=76917]see Programming Language?[/msg])

Hi guys. I don't know if I'm in the right path on becoming a hacker. I'm a 3rd year college student and the language I only know is Java. I know a little about HTML, CSS and Javascript because we have a web development class in our college. Will I continue learning Java? Because almost all the posts I've seen here suggests learning C or C++.
philG17
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Programming Language?

Post by F6Zman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:21 am
([msg=76918]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

philG17 wrote:Hi guys. I don't know if I'm in the right path on becoming a hacker. I'm a 3rd year college student and the language I only know is Java. I know a little about HTML, CSS and Javascript because we have a web development class in our college. Will I continue learning Java? Because almost all the posts I've seen here suggests learning C or C++.

I would prefer C++ because it is a higher level programming language. Java is more of a language for having programming as a hobby.

philG17 wrote: I don't know if I'm in the right path on becoming a hacker

To be a hacker, it helps to know HTML, SQL, Javascript and PhP (if you want to become a good website hacker, you should learn all of those languages).

I only know, Javascript, HTML and the very basic commands of SQL and I can hack into basic websites.

Almost all of my programming knowledge came from http://www.w3schools.com/ and my hacking knowledge came from HTS and Youtube.
F6Zman
New User
New User

Post by Acidiferous on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:27 am
([msg=76920]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

Hey,

I think you should start use whatever programming language, you feel most confortable using. The most important thing is that you try to undestand what you are doing, while you enjoy doing it.

In my expirence everything will follow, if the interest is there. Just roll with it 8-)

Java is not my preferred language, but I do know a few Java developers, who would lynch you for saying this :lol:
F6Zman wrote:I would prefer C++ because it is a higher level programming language. Java is more of a language for having programming as a hobby.

I think you mean C++ is a lower level language, than Java.
Acidiferous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by pretentious on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:03 am
([msg=76923]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

I would suggest you continue learning Java and get really comfy with it. Once you know what you're doing in Java, it shouldn't be too hard to expand your self to other languages.
Goatboy wrote:Oh, that's simple. All you need to do is dedicate many years of your life to studying security.

IF you feel like exchanging ASCII arrays, let me know ;)
pretentious wrote:Welcome to bat country
pretentious
Contributor
Contributor

Post by philG17 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:25 am
([msg=76924]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

Thank you for all the replies guys! First, I decided to continue learning Java and if I'm already that good in it, I will switch to C++. And for the Website Hacking, I will also read about it while I'm learning Java. Thanks again! Last question, can Java help me with hacking or I need to study a lower level programming language than of Java?
philG17
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:59 pm
([msg=76929]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

F6Zman wrote:I only know, Javascript, HTML and the very basic commands of SQL and I can hack into basic websites.

Almost all of my programming knowledge came from http://www.w3schools.com/ and my hacking knowledge came from HTS and Youtube.

I think you mean you can hack into basic insecure sites. A basic site can still be well protected against common attacks. Actually adding flexability and more components would make the site easier to hack.
Also, I would recommend http://www.codecademy.com over http://www.w3schools.com

As for the op, usually people tend to learn C++, because it is a compiled language, making it much faster than most languages. It's not the easiest language to learn, but it's not the hardest either. It's pretty solid, and most people who program will have some knowledge using C++. Also, a lot of programs are made using C++, that you could learn from. Now, with Java, it uses it's own process and is platform independent thanks to the JVM, and it can also be compiled and run as native code. Java can also be interpreted as well, so it's pretty flexible in that sense.

Acidiferous wrote:
F6Zman wrote:I would prefer C++ because it is a higher level programming language. Java is more of a language for having programming as a hobby.

Java and C++ are considered HLL, they can both use classes, objects, polymoorphism, etc.

In short, if you want to expand your knowledge in programming, learn it, otherwise stick with what you are comfortable with.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by DrRoach on Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:03 pm
([msg=76942]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

philG17 wrote:Thank you for all the replies guys! First, I decided to continue learning Java and if I'm already that good in it, I will switch to C++. And for the Website Hacking, I will also read about it while I'm learning Java. Thanks again! Last question, can Java help me with hacking or I need to study a lower level programming language than of Java?

I think you're on the right path, java can really help learn any programming languages, especially web such as javascript and php, and java can be a really stong tool online in the form as applets ect.
DrRoach
Poster
Poster

Post by philG17 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:32 am
([msg=76949]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
F6Zman wrote:I only know, Javascript, HTML and the very basic commands of SQL and I can hack into basic websites.

I think you mean you can hack into basic insecure sites. A basic site can still be well protected against common attacks. Actually adding flexability and more components would make the site easier to hack.
Also, I would recommend http://www.codecademy.com over http://www.w3schools.com

As for the op, usually people tend to learn C++, because it is a compiled language, making it much faster than most languages. It's not the easiest language to learn, but it's not the hardest either. It's pretty solid, and most people who program will have some knowledge using C++. Also, a lot of programs are made using C++, that you could learn from. Now, with Java, it uses it's own process and is platform independent thanks to the JVM, and it can also be compiled and run as native code. Java can also be interpreted as well, so it's pretty flexible in that sense.

Acidiferous wrote:

Java and C++ are considered HLL, they can both use classes, objects, polymoorphism, etc.

In short, if you want to expand your knowledge in programming, learn it, otherwise stick with what you are comfortable with.

I think I will go with Java first because I don't have that much time to learn C++ now. I'm in my 3rd year of college and next year will be our thesis. I'm planning to make a software, and I will do it using Java because that's the only language I've known so far. But in my free time, I will also read about C++ and study at codeacademy.com for scripting languages. Thank you sir. :)

-- Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:34 am --

DrRoach wrote:
philG17 wrote:Thank you for all the replies guys! First, I decided to continue learning Java and if I'm already that good in it, I will switch to C++. And for the Website Hacking, I will also read about it while I'm learning Java. Thanks again! Last question, can Java help me with hacking or I need to study a lower level programming language than of Java?

I think you're on the right path, java can really help learn any programming languages, especially web such as javascript and php, and java can be a really stong tool online in the form as applets ect.

I agree with you. Thanks for giving your time to reply. :)
philG17
New User
New User

Post by Acidiferous on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 am
([msg=76950]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:
Acidiferous wrote:

They are both high level languages, yes :)
But things are relative, and if we compare the two. There is still things like garbage collection, that makes me define one language lower than the other.
Acidiferous
Experienced User
Experienced User

Post by Goatboy on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:06 am
([msg=76957]see Re: Programming Language?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:As for the op, usually people tend to learn C++, because it is a compiled language, making it much faster than most languages.

You're sorta right, but that's like saying people learn to drive because cars are faster than bikes. C++ offers so much more than just speed. You get very precise control of memory/data structures when you want it, and you can delegate that to the OS/compiler/whatever when you're not as concerned. You can work much closer to the hardware than you ever could with Java, Python, Perl, etc. You gain an immense understanding of algorithms and procedures because a lot of the time you have a problem that there isn't a library for, so you come up with your own solution.

-Ninjex- wrote:In short, if you want to expand your knowledge in programming, learn it, otherwise stick with what you are comfortable with.

This. Knowing one particular language over another is not nearly as important as having a solid understanding of programming concepts in general. "A good programmer can code in Perl. A great programmer can code Python in Perl."

Acidiferous wrote:They are both high level languages, yes :)<br>But things are relative, and if we compare the two. There is still things like garbage collection, that makes me define one language lower than the other.

+1

I tried explaining this to an instructor once and he nearly blew a gasket.
Assume that everything I say is or could be a lie.
1UHQ15HqBRZFykqx7mKHpYroxanLjJcUk
Goatboy
Expert
Expert

Return to General