What should I go to school for?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

What should I go to school for?

Post by VvGHOSTvV on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:07 am
([msg=76749]see What should I go to school for?[/msg])

I am wanting to eventually get a Network Security job. I want to learn more on hacking, and I feel that would be the best field for me. However, I can't decide on exactly what I need to go for based on degrees. I am only looking at community colleges right now, maybe a transfer later on. What programs do you think I should take? In your opinion, thanks.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
VvGHOSTvV
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: What should I go to school for?

Post by Tentra on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:51 am
([msg=76755]see Re: What should I go to school for?[/msg])

College isn't trade school, they won't train you to be a network security expert, that is up to you. However, I've heard of some schools that offer graduate degrees specializing in network security.

Your best option is a major in Computer Science or Software Engineering. Both are very broad fields of which Network Security is only a small portion. As I said, college will give you a general education, if you want to specialize, you must do it on your own.
Tentra
Poster
Poster

Post by VvGHOSTvV on Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm
([msg=76758]see Re: What should I go to school for?[/msg])

I know it wont teach me the exact part, I am just looking to get a decent degree to start my career in the computer security field. I am aware that a lot of it will still be self learned.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU
VvGHOSTvV
New User
New User

Post by centip3de on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:41 am
([msg=76766]see Re: What should I go to school for?[/msg])

VvGHOSTvV wrote:I know it wont teach me the exact part, I am just looking to get a decent degree to start my career in the computer security field. I am aware that a lot of it will still be self learned.

A Comp. Sci. degree with a few certificates should be more than enough for an intro-level ethical hacking job.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -Rick Cook
centip3de

Return to General