Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?

General technological topics without their own forum go here

Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?

Post by v4ry5 on Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:10 pm
([msg=76743]see Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?[/msg])

Hey,

Is anybody else on bitmessage? I just started messing around w/ it this evening.

Just to experiment a little, I created a Mailing List for HTS:

BM-2DBNXeyhqcsYPDjYPv4X5kZ3DnG2uRz5bt

And also a channel:

hackthissite: BM-2DAmJiM4RpMdoU4cojtss9dTsA7DchLUT5

The pros of a mailing list are that they preserve some continuity in communications and allow one-on-one off-list communications. A major drawback is that since I created the list, my client pretty much has to be running or the list fails. The channel, now that it has been created, will always exist, but since you don't have a unique "from:" address when communicating in a channel, there's no continuity or ability to chat off-list.

Anyone who subscribes to either one will be able to read anything exchanged, so obv since the addresses are made public by this post, the communications aren't private. If there's some way to post info that only registered HTS members can see, we could potentially create a somewhat less public channel or mailing list.
v4ry5
New User
New User

Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 am
([msg=76745]see Re: Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?[/msg])

I have never used bitmessage, but to talk with other users, I simply use the IRC that hackthissite offers. It uses Unreal IRCD, and encrypts user IP's with 3 separate keys (cloak keys), so your IP will be masked when using the service. The cloak keys are at least 5 characters in length (and knowing this is hts, the keys are probably way larger in length) and can be a combination of [a-Z,0-9]. So trying to bruteforce the encryption used would be a tedious and daunting task. The amount of possible combinations assuming each key is only 5 characters in length, would be 15**72, or 4770574165868066870188156631953971172980231464644251815343523048795759677886962890625

So, as long as those keys aren't revealed it should be a secure method for communications.
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by v4ry5 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:17 am
([msg=76746]see Re: Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?[/msg])

Yeah, I think the appeal of bitmessage lies more in the ability to easily send encrypted 1:1 communications w/o having to manually manage certificates. The other advantage is that all related meta-data is also encrypted, so unless you are the sender or the recipient, there should be no way of seeing that "a sent a message to b".

The mailing lists and channels are more just a way for early adopters to play around with the technology, although even there I think there's some appeal from a security perpsective, especially when you start thinking about channels or lists where the address and/or passphrase is held privately by a small handful of participants, etc.

I've also been studying Python lately so I'm interested in looking at the code, although I haven't got around to that yet. And, finally, it obv benefits everyone who is using, or might one day use, bitmessage if ppl who are good at finding holes in these types of things are putting their eyes on it.
v4ry5
New User
New User

Post by -Ninjex- on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:38 am
([msg=76747]see Re: Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?[/msg])

Let me look into how bitmessage works.
Just throwing it out there, the IRC supports SSL, so you do have that layer of encryption as well.

I see, this was a good read:
link

Sounds interesting
If you're not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you're determined to learn, no one can stop you.⠠⠵
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
I can explain it for you, but I can't understand it for you.
-Ninjex-
Addict
Addict

Post by v4ry5 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 am
([msg=76751]see Re: Bitmessage Mailing List and/or Channel for HTS?[/msg])

-Ninjex- wrote:Just throwing it out there, the IRC supports SSL, so you do have that layer of encryption as well.

Sure. After looking into it some, you prolly have a better idea where I'm coming from but just to make it clear to anyone else who stumbles across this thread, I'm def not trying to promote this as an alternative to existing HTS stuff. It could be another method of connecting (more like email where IRC is for chat and obv this forum is our message board), but really what I'm interested in is the technology itself. Creating the HTS list and channel was just something to do while I started playing around with it.

Incidentally, I just learned that you can send to a channel using one of your own identities but the behavior is kind of flakey right now since that then sets your identity as the default reply-to for your post.
v4ry5
New User
New User

Return to General